Overheating ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Robin
My Cars:

Overheating ?

Post by Robin »

I have been investigating what could still be a very slight head gasket leak on my Xantia 1.9td - However my friends...... when I lifted the two spring clips and eased the radiator forward to clean it I was very surprised to find the space between the main engine radiator and the intercooler full of leaves, feathers, debris and other unspeakables. Since clearing this unknown (to me at least) area of impending doom, the car has sat in a traffic jam for 40 minutes, driven around Cambridge today in 34 degrees, stayed cool and not missed a beat.
Looks hopeful this far. Robin.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Great News!
Looks as though you have just saved yourself an engine and provided lots of paranoid Xantia owners with some free compost! I once had a BX which had an air cleaner box full of hazelnut shells. French squirrels had been living in it!
Gaskin
My Cars:

Post by Gaskin »

Thanks for this idea. I did mine today, and like you found fluff, feathers and dead insects clogging up the radiator. Used a bit of green pan scrubber wrapped round a thin stick to knock the crud off the radiator the vacuumed it up. Main difficulty is the gap between the radiator and the intercooler. Anyway may become a regular servie activity.
Cheers
Duncan