AX Ignition Barrel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

westiej
My Cars:

AX Ignition Barrel

Post by westiej »

I have an AX 1.4 TZD. She runs very well with the odd minor ailment. But today I parked her up with the electric windows down to help keep it cool. I came back later and found teh ket would noit go in to teh ignition barrel. It goes about half way, but refuses to go any further. I now have a big problem, I can't use my car!! I managed to get the windows up by looking at the wiring diagram in teh haynes manual and feeding the live direct, reather than through the ignition. I still can't start the car. If i need to buy a new ignition switch so be it, but how do I fit it? Don't I need to put the key to the service position to be able to remove the switch?
Any Suggestions would be appreciated, ASAP as I need to get to work Monday!!! Thanks
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

You may have the dreaded key barrell problem, where one of the tiny code tumblers have fallen out the key entry way.
This happened to my wife in our BX last year, and I had to take a Taxi to get out and help her [:D]
The key would only go half way in allright, wife was not kidding.
Was able to lean down and get a peep down the key barrell, and it looked like some foreign matter was down there blocking the key.
I carried 2 paperclips various sizes and a small lock spray can with me.
Lubed the key barrell well, then fiddled with large paperclip bent as a hook, and I succeeded to move the small tumbler, but it kept jumping out as soon as the key was inserted.
Then I inserted the thin paperclip as a straight pin, to keep the small tumbler in place, inserted the key, and then gently wriggled the key in while I pulled out the paperclip pin.
[:p] SUCCESS [8D]
The key was then NOT removed until I got a new lock barrell (for obvious reasons [8)])
Try it [^]
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Sure no one had a go at trying to have it away while you weren't around. Sorry but windows down is a good enough reason for all scum bags to f**k your car up if they can't have it away. As for a repair don't GSF do a complete set of locks and keys for not of money?
phil02

Post by phil02 »

GSF prices are:
N87530 IGNITION & DOOR LOCK SET AX >5/91 MK1 IGN & DOOR LOCK SET 45.00
N92804 IGNITION LOCK AX MK1 >91 35.50
N92806 IGNITION LOCK AX MK2 91> 35.00
N87500 IGNITION & DOOR LOCK SET AX MK2 91> IGN & DOOR LOCK SET 45.00
About to invest in an ignition & door lock set myself, can't complain about those prices. Citroen would probably want at least £100 since they charge £12.50 for a new key alone... :)
Phil
westiej
My Cars:

Post by westiej »

Thanks for all your assistance. I agree a new lockset for £45 is not a bad investment, especially as we lost a set of keys recently. However, even with Anders help I have been unable to get the exisiting key in the ignition.[:(]
How am I going to get this barrel out to fit my new one? It is held in place by the steering lock and a pin. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.[?]
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Try drilling down the keyhole in the barrel with a toungstan carbide coated drill bit, The ones they use to rob the money out of phone boxes with.
I work in a tool shop & we sell these for about £6 each.
They are very good at drilling through hardend metal, But they do snap very easy with any slight sideways pressure placed on them, so ware your goggels.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

i prefer the drilling method aswell but if you can get hold of one a big slide hammer rips it out in seconds.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

The way I used to do it (legally i might add) was screw a long self tapper down the keyway, big enough to wreck the tumblers, use a peice of wood to lever the lot out and fit the new units.
Always amazed me that it took me 3-4 hours to get car started etc but took SCUM seconds.
[:D]
westiej
My Cars:

Post by westiej »

Thanks for all the assistance, but I'm a bit mitified but the posting, can I have some more detail on the drilling/self tapper methods please. If you prefer not to post ot a public forum then send to me an e-mail.
thanks in advance