Xantia clicking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gecko

Xantia clicking

Post by gecko »

Hi - I have a 95 N reg Xantia 1.9TD estate. Have read through various posts and believe I have problem with centre front sphere. clicking is about 5-6 seconds apart whilst idling and one of the thicker pipes coming off the back of the black casting (is this the regulator) behind the front centre sphere jolts with each click. so should I need regulator or sphere or both?
Also occassionally (not very often - which is why it catches me out when it does it) when pulling off from starting engine no brakes then suddenly lock up. could this be the same problem.
Has had new spheres either side on back & front I was told when I bought it.
Sometimes the back drops overnight again - not very often - I've only just thought while posting to see if the back has dropped when the brakes go so I'll try to remember when it happens next.
Thanks for any help
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

gecko

Post by gecko »

Hi - thanks for the response - have carried out checks ticking interval 4-6 seconds so that's the accumulator sphere then. Xantia 1.9TD LX estate N reg - can you confirm that to be N45304?
However also no height adjustment on front when I lay on bonnet the car does not go down at all(rear works just as it says) - could that be down to same sphere problem or is this another problem?
all the best and thanks again
Shaun
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

That's the acc sphere allright ...
If the front does not jerk down at all when you press it, it's defo 2 new front spheres as well.
Wonder why you dont complain on the ride then, got a rebate on your dentist [?][:p][:D]
gecko

Post by gecko »

Thanks alot for response - have ordered acc sphere - will order new fronts as well. I have been looking for the front height corrector mechanism to ensure no sticking - exactly where is it located??
Now you come to mention it the ride has been rougher since it came back from having the clutch done last week- the front seems hard when hit a bump and sort of 'floaty' at speed and a lot of movement of the headlights up & down. I hadn't really been anywhere in it til this weekend.
Thanks again for all your help
Shaun
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Front height corrector is just to the rear of the front subframe assembly. If the car lowers and raises on the control inside then at least the valves are working so a liberal use of the WD 40 to free it all off and then good greasing should sort it.
Just change the sphere for now and the centre rear one is a candidate for routine replacement too. This one can affect the braking response on start up. Robin
gecko

Post by gecko »

Thanks for that robin -
Got my spheres today from GSF - great service.
just need the weather to dry up now [:)]
all the best
Shaun
gecko

Post by gecko »

Thanks all for your advice and the 'beginners guides' - my first ever sphere change went well -changed the 3 fronts yesterday afternoon took about an hour found the HC and gave it a good wd40ing - ride is great and she's doing everything she should on the tests now. excellent forum - saved me paying my mechanic (who told me that there isn't a front HC only a back one) for a relatively simple job.
All the best and will no doubt be back in the future.[:)]