rust of roof

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

b21playa

rust of roof

Post by b21playa »

the XTDT im getting on saturday hasrust on the roof and i was thinking of cutting around the rust and getting a new piece of metal welded onto it
is this possible and roughly what sort of money am i looking at?
its in two different places, one at front of sunroof, the other at rear
b21playa

Post by b21playa »

Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

Neither of those look bad enough to need cutting out, i would go with a small wire brush to remove the rust and surrounding paint, then you can assess it properly, steel expands to around 10 times its thickness before perforating the panels
You will need to apply some anti rust stuff (forget whats its called now!), then high build primer an then paint it if your good enough!, i'm not so usually entrust this whole process to my local bodyshop !, they would probably fleece you for about £80 for the two patches if they did everything
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

I would agree with Mosser.. this is not that bad corrosion. I would say though that it would be worth using a power sander of some sort (either random orbital or a grinder with a sanding wheel in it) to not only remove the flakey rust, but also to smooth off any pitting, and get all the dusty corrosion out before using one of the "kure-rust" type liquids to it. If you are going to do it yourself, it needs to be a warm DRY day (low humidity) when you do the repainting, otherwise the rust will come back. Best time to be doing this is in a heated garage, on a dry day in winter (for ultra-low humidity). Oh, and lots of t-cut once you've painted it.
b21playa

Post by b21playa »

ive been told its been done once before and its come back again
can i grind it back with one of the dremel multi-tool ??
whats pitting??
can someone give me instructions on what to do. i know i have to wire brush it back and use that kust anti-rust stuff to stop rusting.
do i need to use the filler at this stage, then let it dry, sand it back, untill smooth, primer it and then spray in nice cherry red. lol
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

"pitting" is an effect of corrosion, whereby the surface is no longer smooth, and has generated a large amount of small craters, or "pits" hence pitting. Looking closely at those pictures I would say that all the original corrosion was not removed the first time (some still remaining at the bottom of the pitting)
I would not use a dremmel or anything that small to do this job.. it needs a large surface sander in order to achieve a smooth finish. A random orbital sander will have that effect, but will probably take a fair time to completely remove all the oxide.
Filler... not needed. High-build primer is all that is needed, with a good rub down with wetted 1000 grit paper between layers. make sure every layer is well blended with the surrounding paintwork, but don't go too mad, or you'll remove too much of the original paint.
I'm guessing you might be better off getting someone experienced to do this (although not necessarily a garage.. I have seen some appaling bodywork repairs by some "body shops"
David.
b21playa

Post by b21playa »

yeah i went to go and see someone today
the actual person was not there so i have to go back n saturday
i might just get a sander and do that myself, and maybe get it spray by someone
anyone on here in the lidlands and want to do the job???
give me a price
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

That first picky looks like body filler to me and that red paint is very orange peelly . It looks like a split in the roof. In which case be careful you ain't buying a lemon that's had a front ender. The roof could have been all smacked up and as aquick repair some old filler was used to sucker some one in to buying. Not having a go, it's just unusual for rust to come up around the sunroof especially as its not really on the seals. Get an HPI befor handing over your money could save you some work.
b21playa

Post by b21playa »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stuart McB</i>

That first picky looks like body filler to me and that red paint is very orange peelly . It looks like a split in the roof. In which case be careful you ain't buying a lemon that's had a front ender. The roof could have been all smacked up and as aquick repair some old filler was used to sucker some one in to buying. Not having a go, it's just unusual for rust to come up around the sunroof especially as its not really on the seals. Get an HPI befor handing over your money could save you some work.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
yeah i was told the rood rusted and an attempted repair by an ameteur was done. now its back again
im paying £90 for the car, yes thats ninty pounds, hence a few problems
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

£90!
Don't worry about it then [:D][:D] Don't waste any money just put duck tape over it and be done with it.[:D]
b21playa

Post by b21playa »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stuart McB</i>

£90!
Don't worry about it then [:D][:D] Don't waste any money just put duck tape over it and be done with it.[:D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
if i dont fix it and want to keep the car for a while, what can i put on it to stop further rusting
any tips or ideas
how about red waterproof tape. LOL
im hoping to keep this £90 car and sell my XLDT and get my money back
mote

Post by mote »

POR-15 will stop the rust coming back. It is a one part moisture cured polyurethene paint. You can get it in this country from Frost Auto in Rochdale. Bit dear but sheet hot at stopping rust and works in humid/moist situations. It might be available elsewhere.
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

I would use a drill or grinder with a wire brush attachment, clean away all the rust. You need to treat it with rust eater, available in many brands. If there is a hole, it is advisable to spray some rust proofing in to the cavity is there is one. Again if there is a hole you need to bridge it with a substance like glass fibre. You can buy kits off the shelf. Once this has gone hard you can sand it, and prep for paint. The key thing is stopping it rusting again, so make sure you leave any bare metal clean and well treated with rust proofing.