zx volczne brake/engine/gearbox upgrade

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rashmore

zx volczne brake/engine/gearbox upgrade

Post by rashmore »

After a few months of fun with TD Volcane its time to tinker.[}:)]
previous topic listings have been lost to PC crash, so i'm starting again.....[:(!] will continue search but in the meantime....
Brakes are due a further overhaul as suddenly gone naff. consensus is to upgrade disks/calipers to berlingo/xsara/partner/206 gti. would this be a straight swap or should i expect problems like server etc upgrade as i found that some have had to do this - due to lesser zx models having different pipe bore to volcane ?
Looking at engine retune & larger intercooler. Found DIY instructions but rather experienced tuner set it up - has anyone had experience of the Derv Doctor in Ashbourne Derby, or had similar done work elsewhere ?
Finally i remember a thread on swapping to GTI-6 gearbox. anyone know the outcome, or would the torque of diesel wreck it/clutch anyway.
I look foward to repsonses and will continue to re-locate topics.
Thanks
Seamster15
My Cars:

Post by Seamster15 »

For Pump fine tuning you could Try Van-Aaken........
Seamster15
My Cars:

Post by Seamster15 »

Jon

Post by Jon »

I did the Berlingo brake upgrade on my ZX TD.
It was quite simple, I got a pair of Berlingo calipers complete with the frames, and they bolt straight on to the ZX hub. You need to use Xantia/Berlingo 266mm vented discs in conjunction with Berlingo pads.
You must use Berlingo brakes hoses, the ZX ones are too short, again this is a straight swop. The only trouble you may have is actually removing the brake flexi hose from where the metal brake pipe joins it at the inner wing. On my car I rounded off then snapped the nut on the metal brake pipe (doh!) and had to fit a new metal pipe, not a nice job. So ensure that you have a proper 11mm brake pipe spanner and use loads of PlusGas/WD40 before you start. [;)]
Search on "TD tuning" or similar within this forum for details with regards to power increases etc.
I'm not sure if there is any advantage at all in the 6 speed box, at about 100mph a ZX TD is only pulling about 3500 RPM anyway!
rashmore

Post by rashmore »

Thanks for help
Regards berlingo brakes, presumably they can be off any derivative - ie car or commercial ? Starting the scrap yard hunt and stocking up on wd40 :-)....
Off to the Derv doctor to have a nosey round, see workshop and discuss options.Van-Aaken are quite expensive, cost vs age/value of car...will continue search
IanD
My Cars:

Post by IanD »

This brake upgrade sounds interesting! [:)] Are they marginally bigger discs or is it the calipers that you get most of the improvement from? Is there a considerable improvement in doing this? I assume you can keep the original 14" wheels?
Cheers,
Ian
rashmore

Post by rashmore »

You can still use the stnd 14 " alloy wheel
Bigger caliper/piston, pad and disk therefore bigger contact area. Can be found on Peugeot Partner, Citroen Xsara 1.8 16V, Peugeot 306 1.8/1.9TD Estate 1997 onwards)
if use 206 GTi parts will need 15" wheels
Started the process of tracking them down.....
[:D]
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Seamster15</i>

For Pump fine tuning you could Try Van-Aaken........
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I think you'll find them a little costly??? for what is done.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Had mine done there.Well worth the money for the peace of mind that it was done correctly.Had it done at 107k aprox,now done 137k miles.
rashmore

Post by rashmore »

Derv Doctor visited on sat.
Nice little outfit. Discussed options available +vat :
stage 1 : 110 - 118 bhp, mechanical tune, £120 (£6/bhp)
stage 2 : 120 - 125 bhp, tune & new o/h intercooler, £350 (£11.6/bhp)
stage 3 : 125 - 135 bhp, tune front mounted i/c, £650 (£18.57/bhp
discussed diy move of i/c using say a xanita front mount, but he said fitment would be difficult due to lack of space - they fit new slimmer fans for their front mount.....
dump valves are great for noise but no gain.
reckon i'll try a stage one for now... [:D]
rashmore

Post by rashmore »

So far so good.
Derv Doctor has done his stuff. At first i thought it wasn't that impressive, but i only drove from premises on a short test run down a dual carriage way.
It was on the way home thro the country lanes that the change became evident. Much improved response and better pick up. chucks out a bit of smoke occasionally, more so than before but will keep an eye on that.
Well worth the money. Just need to empty garage so can escape the rain and fit Berlingo calipers...[:)]