Pug 306 PLIP Renewal

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cmoggy
My Cars:

Pug 306 PLIP Renewal

Post by cmoggy »

I need to replace the remote control on my P Reg 96 306. Does anybody know the re-programming procedure if I buy a replacement from somewhere like ebay etc. I believe you have to point at the receiver and switch ignition on or something. I dont have my op manual.
thx
Seamster15
My Cars:

Post by Seamster15 »

I understand that if you search hard enough on then internet that there is a well documented way to DIY plip re-programming......
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

What you mustn't do is believe what a Peugeot dealer will tell you, which is that the only way it can be done is to use their re-programming machine, at a cost of £(arm, leg and 1 major organ) per minute. I have heard this from a couple of dealers, and when quizzed about using the car to reprogram, they all stare blankly and say "I don't think it can do that"... in complete contrast to what the handbook says!
Ah well.
David.
chriswales6

Post by chriswales6 »

Hi,
Plip reprogramming as with everything else with Peugeot can be anything but easy.
Here is my experience with a 3 door 98’ R reg, with a two button deadlock, no alarm and transponder chip.
If the remote locking is working and you just want to use a different key then: Get in the car and close the doors, put your original key into the ignition and turn it to position two (or it maybe one I can’t remember) but don’t start the engine. Hold the new key up against the receiver in the roof and after about ten to twenty presses of the button the doors should start locking and unlocking. I’ve done this a number of times.
If remote locking has stopped working like my did back in January then you could go to a dealer like I did and get a quote for over £70 for ‘reprogramming’. I told them that I would stick to putting the key in the door to open the car. To cut a long story short, I found out on another message board how to fix the remote receiver. You disconnect the battery for around 30 minutes (if you have a coded radio that could be a problem) then reconnect the battery and reprogram the new key as described above.
I very sceptical that ‘re-booting’ the car would fix the problem, but it did the trick. It does make you wonder if that’s all the Peugeot dealer does and then charges you around £100.
As for buying a replacement key, there are at least four types so you need to careful that you get the one that matches your car.
Cheers
Chris