BX GTi Breakers - new wheel needed.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JimW
My Cars:

BX GTi Breakers - new wheel needed.

Post by JimW »

I'm on the lookout for a BX GTi (steel) wheel and would really appreciate any hints on which Breakers to try - in the West Midlands, that is.
I'm not sure whether the same wheels are used by any other BX models (eg TZi) - although I think the 16v's are somewhat wider. Alternatively, other Citroëns, or, for that matter, Peugeots ?
Or any other ideas (like someone living nearby who's got one) ?
The wheels are (according to Haynes, anyway) 5 1/2 J 14s, with 185/60 x 14 tyres.
Thanks in advance for any pointers,
Jim.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

The 5 1/2 J rims are quite popular on Pug 404s too
Stewart
JimW
My Cars:

Post by JimW »

Just to confirm my suspicions:
Does anyone know if the BX 16v wheels ARE wider than the 8v GTi (I'm pretty sure that the tyres are) ?
Many thanks again,
Jim.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

If we exclude the odd metric size wheels (for the now very rare and expensive TRX tyres), these standard fitted rim/wheel <font color="red"><i>sizes</i></font id="red"> were available for the BX :
BX (basic) / BX14 : 4.50 ET30
BX 16 / 19 / Estates : 5.00 ET25
BX 19GTI : 5.50 ET18 (steel or alloy)
BX 19GTI-16V : 6.00 ET15 (steel or alloy)
Of course local markets/dealers may have fitted other sizes on campain models to get rid of stock. On top of that, later owners may at any time have altered this [:D]
If you want some alternative sources, try this list of cars :
http://www.kompressor.no/felger/boltesirkel.htm
Whatever you find, take a very sharp look on ALL your 4 wheels and the ones you find, as +/- 0.50 in size is almost impossible to see at a glance.
- but may have obvious detrimental effects in extreme (winter) drive conditions [B)]
JimW
My Cars:

Post by JimW »

Thanks Anders, pretty much what I expected (e.g. the 16v DOES have wider wheels - 6.00 J 14).
I was quite surprised, when looking through my Haynes manual a couple of weeks back, to see that some BXs were available with the metric diameter wheels. I'm almost tempted to try and get one (wheel & tyre, that is) and keep it as a collector's item !
Jim.
JimW
My Cars:

Post by JimW »

OK - here's the update, as this information might be useful to someone.
When ringing round the local (Black Country) breakers, one helpful individual told me that Peugeot wheels don't actually fit BXs - in fact, he went on - some other <b><i>Citroën</i></b> wheels won't fit BXs ! So the moral, at least according to his story, is that 2nd hand BX wheels really need to come from a BX.
I have to say that I've no idea whether this is true or not - but it's perhaps worth bearing in mind.
The individual concerned did rather spoil it a bit, though, by saying <i>"I don't know why, perhaps it's something to do with the way the suspension goes up and down"</i> !!
I did manage to locate a Citroën (in fact Renault & Peugeot, too) breakers not too far away - in Ladywood, Birmingham.
They sold me a steel wheel of the right size (I think they had recently broken a few BX GTis) for a tenner, although they claimed this was the "last one".
Their web site is http://www.citroenparts.co.uk/
Another website, possibly worth adding to your Favourites, is http://www.ukmotoringdirectory.co.uk/mo ... hp?id=1922 - this is a directory of Salvage/Dismantler/Breaker companies' web sites, and where I found the above link.
Jim.