air con for xm

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mark bodsworth
My Cars:

air con for xm

Post by mark bodsworth »

Hi
I have a 98 ct turbo xm which is in great condition. The only thing I have against it is that it hasnt got aircon. Has anybody ever attempted to fit aircon to an xm. Would it be possible to do this using parts out of a srap xm?
Cheers Mark
edd001
My Cars:

Post by edd001 »

as long as it is the same modal and year or you can get air con kits from new.
the only yhing with getting it from a scrap yard is the fitting it without instructions as it is not an easy job even with instructions.
mark bodsworth
My Cars:

Post by mark bodsworth »

cheers edd. can anyone suggest an aftermarket aircon kit and is this compatable with the present controls?
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

After assisting Tom with a BX aircon transplant I'd advise taking a tent to a scrapyard if going that route, or asking if they have a handy caravan to hire out for the weekend. It's a long haul of a job, and also it's difficult to gain scrapyard access to parts like the aircon compressor with a car as heavy as an XM, even if it doesn't have the obligatory heavy-metal roof rack. Possibly the worst section of the job, approached either way, is removing/replacing the heater unit, if it's like the BX.
On the other hand, we removed the aircon from my BX stage by stage, keeping the car driveable in between.
mark bodsworth
My Cars:

Post by mark bodsworth »

cheers guys
i will give it a go, but im having trouble finding an xm in a scrapyard at the moment
mark
Seamster15
My Cars:

Post by Seamster15 »

Seamster15
My Cars:

Post by Seamster15 »

tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

This is not a job for the faint-hearted. I was advised to give up and buy a Xantia. I'd say the guy could be right. Having spent lots of money and a month of weekends, lots of research and lots of surprises, I got mine nearly right. I have one leak which will entail a visit to remove the gas before I can fix it. To get it to work was very satisfying but I think I'd look for an XM with it fitted and working- really!