antisink sphere

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stephen burch
My Cars:

antisink sphere

Post by stephen burch »

I need to change the antisink sphere on my '97 xantia activa, centre rear ,on the level with height corrector i believe. I have bought a sphere from andyspares, it came in a self sealing plastic bag with N45338 written on the bag. The number on the sphere is XT sp703. It also reads ACTIVA REG.30 ANTIBAL.ACTIVO. Having taken the sphere off the car the new sphere is not the same. The old sphere is flat, then a small concave then thread for the 3.5mm pipe nut. The new one is deeply recessed with no internal thread and a channel for a seal just inboard of the external threads. The outside diameter and external thread are the same on both. The old sphere is rated at 50 bar. The sphere is obviously wrong for the fitment but can anyone tell me what it is for?
I have a sphere that looks identical in fitment as the old sphere that I bought from a company in Scotland last year. As I remember it is for the front antisink? The number is XA 62 FE possibly rated at 62 bar. Can anyone please enlighten me on this. Thanks.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

To your description it sounds to me like you've got the N45338F sphere, which is the rear Activa balancing sphere - nothing to do with the Antisink sphere N45338 (no trailing letter) or any suspension sphere.
For your Activa, you have the following selection of <font color="red"><b>REAR</b></font id="red"> fitted spheres :
Xantia Activa : N45338B (wheel spheres)
Xantia Activa centre rear : N45338D (hydractive center)
Xantia Activa rear balancing : N45338F (the one it seems you've got)
Xantia Activa rear antisink : N45338
What you find stamped on the spheres are supplier related, meaning you have to know which cross reference code each supplier use for a corrsponding Citroen part number ...
Only if Citroen's part no is stamped on the sphere you can be sure, or on OEM parts - the description on the package and suppliers stock no.
You can not just fit a Citroen sphere which have the suitable threading. Each sphere type is dedicated it's special purpose.
Break this rule and you may get ALL KINDS of unpredictable results, at your own responsibility [8)]
stephen burch
My Cars:

Post by stephen burch »

Thanks for the info Anders. You mentioned the balancing sphere. Does this sphere make the rear end level as I sometimes seem to get an imbalance between the n/s and o/s of the car, the n/s seeming about 5mm lower between the rear arches and the wheels. I haven't measured the front but no doubt it's the same there. It just looks more obvious as the back sinks down to its stops at the moment. If this is the case I may as well change this one along with the antisink sphere. Would you know where the balancing sphere is located? I have changed the rear wheel spheres, I will change the antisink sphere so that leaves one of the remaining two.
Just one more thought, does the front have a balancing sphere? If so is it the one immediately to the right of the accumulator sphere looking from the front of the car? Is this rated the same as the accumulator sphere? Sorry about all the questions but looking at the problems others have encountered with hydraulics it seems that you usually have an answer. Thanks again.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Stephen -
You can find the dedicated activa balancing sphere by knowing how the <font color="blue"><i>other</i></font id="blue"> spheres are identified :
1) wheel spheres obviously fitted at end of each wheel suspension cylinder
2) the center hydractive system sphere has one large diameter (10mm) pipes at base block running to each suspension cylinder
3) the anti-sink sphere has a single 3.5mm pipe at base running to a T-distributor connected to one of the long pipes running under the car
Before you go changing spheres at random, always start with the main system (source of pressure). This is the main accumulator sphere fitted on to the regulator located <font color="blue"><i>on engine</i></font id="blue">.
If you have no records on the spheres in your Activa, it might very well be a reborn of your car replacing all 10 spheres found after 7 years in service. They certainly dont last any longer.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Wow! Ten spheres- wonder what Citroen would charge for that? (I'll bet it would buy a decent BX!)
stephen burch
My Cars:

Post by stephen burch »

Anders....Once again, thanks. I changed the accumulator sphere last month as the accumulator was clicking once every 7 seconds. Some of the cars spheres are date stamped and they do go back to 1998 so no doubt they are past their best. I do know that from new the car was on contract hire to a company that transported donor organs / blood or something along those lines . This meant that it had to be reliable and was serviced and attended to regularly as long as it was viable to do so which was about 3 or 4 years. It has had 2 owners since so I am the fourth. It is in Silex grey which is a very dark metallic colour and the only one I have seen in this. Another point is that it has no sunroof, no doubt to keep the cost down.
Does anyone else know of any Silex grey Xantias?
stephen burch
My Cars:

Post by stephen burch »

Tom.... With Citroen dealer prices it's probably the equivalent of a decent C5.