Xantia speedo cable ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Rivendell

Xantia speedo cable ?

Post by Rivendell »

Does anyone have any handy hints for replacing the speedo cable ?
I'm making the assumption that the cable has snapped as the mileage was ticking over from 119999 to 120000.
Sensible suggestions welcomed.
Cheers
Phil
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Before you start I think you must always keep in mind that we of the western world are all driving LHD cars that have been converted to RHD and with speedo cables, they are a simple process on LHD cars as they usually just go straight through the firewall & straight onto the speedo head in the manner in which they were designes.
On our cars, they go through the firewall, do a right angled turn and then disappear though all the ducting and wiring to once again do another right angled turn before attaching to aforementioned speedo head. Therefore it has to be remembered that the most important of all things is to instal in such a way so as to reduce as much as possible the amount of strain at the point where they attach to the speedo head and when fitting the new cable, attach it to the old via duct tape to drag it through the dash area and be sure that the speedo is the last thing attached. This way you have some control over the amount of strain applied to this area.
It's also adviseable to spray the fitting at the speedo with silicone spray and be sure that it's loosened the fitting there up before re-installing.
Alan S
Rivendell

Post by Rivendell »

Thanks for the erm erm .... informative response Alan. Things get stranger and stranger with this car, cos the bloody thing has started working again. Maybe all it needed was an overnight rest .... who knows..?
Stay tuned for further updates...[:p]
Chers
Phil
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

i may be wrong but i thought the Xantia didn't have a speedo cable as it was a electronic speedo
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by davethewheel</i>

i may be wrong but i thought the Xantia didn't have a speedo cable as it was a electronic speedo
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
That could explain why all the problems finding where the cable went.[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
Alan S [:p]
sdabel
My Cars:

Post by sdabel »

Speedo on my XM is erratic, works for a while and then drops to zero. Then works again. Seems to be fine at low speeds but on the highway....
Found the location the speed sensor over the weekend (above drive shaft on gearbox) and looks like it would not be hard to replace.
So the question is, if it is a hall effect sensor why do they wear out?
Is there some part inside that I can renew or does it require a new sensor?
regards
sean
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

The sensor might just want its electrical plug cleaning, Unplug it & squirt some wd40 in & then make sure the terminals are making good connections, Use a small screwdriver to pinch the terminals tight & then plug it back together & re test.
Rivendell

Post by Rivendell »

The speedo part seems to be working fine. It was the actual mileage counter which had stopped working. Now it's working again, without any intervention from yours truly.
The puzzling part now is how many times has this thing stopped working, and restarted without me noticing [?]
Answers on a postcard please [8D]
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

To sdable:
From what you say, I assume your's is a series II XM ('95>) 'cos the series I's had a cable (which terminated at the same place, actually). The speedo head is held in place by one (1) 10mm bolt. The bit that "plugs" into the gearbox is held in place by a rather effective O-ring, so you need to prise it out with a wide-bladed screwdriver under the part where the bolt fitted.
//NiSk
sdabel
My Cars:

Post by sdabel »

Yep, my car is an S2. Will have a go at cleaning the contacts and removing the sensor to see if there is anything obviously amiss. Next time I have access to a pit!
regards
sean