Such a simple question; why so hard to get an answ

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Such a simple question; why so hard to get an answ

Post by alan s »

I have asked this question all over the place and I'm thoroughly convinced that people think I'm taking the 'iss...........but I ain't[:p][:(]
I have a Xantia 94/95 VSX 2.0i 5 speed manual that I would like the specs for the gear oil for.
The owners manual has been lost and whilst I understand the mechanicals for these were the same as those for the BX, I have also heard it said that the gearboxes take different class of oil. These will handle synthetic whereas the BX used ti throw a funny if that was out in the transmission.
Can anybody tell me what it requires to save me possibly doing an oil change....................twice!![:0][B)]
Alan S[:D]
Jon

Post by Jon »

Hi
Your Xantia has a BE3 gearbox. This was also used in later BX models The gearbox oil specified is SAE 75W-80W. In the UK any Citroen with BE3/BE3R gearboxes then a Citroen dealer would supply Total Transmission BV "New Formula", unfortunately, having examined a litre bottle of the stuff it gives no specs other than the grade, and it says "Very high performance oil for manual gearboxes operating under severe conditions. Approved by Citroen and Peugeot". I believe its a semi synthetic.
Total are no help either. http://www.total.gb.com/webkit/lubes/pr ... ansmission
Can't be any more helpful I'm afraid.[:p]
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Hi, slighty on topic, whats the BE3R box? Also what gear boxes do the 3 litre v6's have? See I currently have a bx16v lump in the Visa with a BE3 box but have visions (dreams) of putting a v6 in it one day for the humour if nothing else. Would it use the same engine mounts? Gear linkages are not a problem as I can make my own up if it does use a different box
wilsonkrg
My Cars:

Post by wilsonkrg »

Alan, My Xantia book says Total Transmission BV 75W-80W GL5 spec oil. When I replaced the 600 ml of oil left in my gearbox (during the clutch job), I used a couple of 1 litre pots of Shell 75-80 synthetic that I got from Autobahn and that has been working well for over a year now.
Ken W (Brisvegas)
meexi
My Cars:

Post by meexi »

i had to laugh when i put ep90 into my old bx could only change gear with two hands[:D]