Which Warning Light ? We have an answer!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dave40
My Cars:

Which Warning Light ? We have an answer!!

Post by Dave40 »

Hi folks. No replies, have I found the unanswerable question?![}:)]
Occasionally while waiting for the heater plugs timer light to go out (ie when starting) on my ZX TD another light comes on briefly, and it's not in the handbook!
It's orange (I think, goes out just as I notice it), under the speedo and is a flattened, horizontal oval over two horizontal lines. I thought it might be airbag but there's one on the steering wheel for that.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave40</i>

No replies, have I found the unanswerable question?!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
No, thats the 'Alien Spacecraft Approaching' warning light, we just didn't want to scare you........[:D]
Nick
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Funny as it sounds but I think it's the light that is meant as a warning aid when towing [?]. Some where in the back of my mind I remember it comes on when the electrics to the 'caravan' or trailer have been disconected. It could be a sign of a earth fault in the rear electrics starting to come on. Dose it have a sort of lighting flash inside the squashed oval?
OR!!!
You have been singled out as earth embassador for alien encounters [:D][:D]
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

My old Boss had regular visitations of the ESP lamp on his new Merc. Never when his wife drove. He asked me what it was for. I explained that the car was so intelligent that when the driver stopped thinking, it used ESP to drive itself. I don't work for him anymore!
Dave40
My Cars:

Post by Dave40 »

Ok very funny guys!
Nick, I assume from the time of your post you were up waiting for a 'visitation'. I'm not scared by aliens I have a teenager living in the house.
Stuart, I don't think the car has ever has a towbar fitted but I'll investigate further. It's preferable to the developing ET alternative!
Tom, no comment.
If anyone out there has a spare instrument panel or is doing the fairly regulaer bulb replacement job soon perhaps they could shine a torch through from the back & see what illuminates.......hopefully an answer.
Nanu Nanu earthlings.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Right, had a look through some auto manuals. Nothing quite like what you say you've seen but I can say if it's orange then it's a 'telling you to check some thing' light not a 'watch out I'm about to break down' light. Sounds like it could be either an ABS light but this has the lightening strike through it or low brake fluid.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Fuel filter water level warning light ?
Some Citroen models have a warning sensor in the fuel filter, but mostly Xantiae I guess.
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

There's nothing like that in the Xantia book. If you could get hold of the ISO 2575:2004 standard it lists all the internationally-agreed symbols for motor vehicles....
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Panjandrum - you don't honestly think that Citroën sticks to internationally agreed symbols - (unless of course Citroën invented them) . . .
//ET
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Are the horizontal lines straight or wavy?
If they're wavy lines it sounds a <i>bit</i> like the low coolant level light.
If they're straight, I stand by my original theory [;)]
crooser

Post by crooser »

air filter or cat?
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

We never saw this model on this side of the World but I did own a Mazda diesel for a few years and I'm sure it had a warning something like that (it was orange anyway) if water got into one of the filters. On them you had a metal cylinder type fuel filter as well as a glass one; the glass one had a kind of tap arrangement on the bottom that was opened to drain out any water that it caught in the system, based on the principle that the water would drop to the bottom & the diesel fuel float to the top.
Any chance this could be something similar??
Alan S
Dave40
My Cars:

Post by Dave40 »

Have some more data for you earthlings. The light came on as I pulled onto my drive yesterday, and remained on. It,s red & positioned just to the right of the light which falls below the bottom centre of the speedo.
Nick, I think you are on the right track. the lines are indeed wavey as is the bottom of the oval I described. Also there is a 'T' on the top of the oval. The light went of when I revved the engine & returned on tickover. Will check some levels today & see what's what.
Live long & prosper.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

My XM TD12 has a warning light that looks like a squashed oval with a "pi" symbol (a "T") with two vertical strokes - ll) in the miccle of the top and two horizontal wavey lines under the oval.
It's the coolant level warning light according to the instruction book and it's red in colour.
//NiSk
Dave40
My Cars:

Post by Dave40 »

And the winner is...................NiSK!
Spot on my friend, checked the coolant & had to add a litre of fluid.
Now I'm going to be worrying about why? Stops life getting dull I suppose.
Thanks to all for your input.
Dave