AX Ignition/Locks

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

phil02

AX Ignition/Locks

Post by phil02 »

OK, here we go again. AX's seem to be a hot topic on here at the moment, so I will follow fashion.
Thanks to the advice of the good people here I am fairly content that the ignition switch needs replacing and I am intending to buy an igntion switch & lock set from GSF soon.
However, I am not a mechanic and have no experience of this kind of work, so can anyone tell me whether it is possible for the budding home mechanic to do - i.e. replace the locks and ignition switch?
I do not want two seperate keys for the car if I can avoid it, hence the decision to do the locks as well (plus the drivers lock is pretty knackered).
Anyone done this before?
On a different note, the whistling I asked about before was 80% cured when I took off the top of the air filter/throttle body, sorted out some slightly ham-fisted replacement of air intake etc. done by a wonderful RAC mechanic and found the top of the throttle body (held on by a large jubilee clip) was at an odd angle - the back was not seated correctly. Took ages to persuade it to clamp down properly & level, tightened the living daylights out of every screw, bolt and clip I could find, and I have a slightly less whistly car. Thought this might be helpful for anyone with the same noise!
Cheers
Phil
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

You'll need to strip down the doors to access the lock cylinders. Usually they are held in place by a fork spring, which slides/pulls away from the cylinder.
The steering wheel must come off to access the cowling retaining screws. The lock barrell is held by a lock pin, which can be pressed down to release, when key is turned to a special service position.
Be prepared to find odd torx head screws.
phil02

Post by phil02 »

Took a mate to my mechanic as he wanted to ask him something, mechanic heard the car clicking and clicking before I could start it and now he wants it back in next week so he can fix it - he's tried so many times to fix this and he's annoyed it's still evaded him. Free repairs!
Will be interesting to see what it is - he thinks wiring a relay into the motor might help things as the motor isn't getting enough current to rotate.
Cheers
Phil