ZX 16v Clutch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Seamster15
My Cars:

ZX 16v Clutch

Post by Seamster15 »

Hi,
I need to have the clutch changed on my zx 16v, any ideas on a reasonable price ? I have been quoted £750!
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Pffft! Sounds like they don't want to do the work!
Clutch kit is £85+VAT from this very site. Factor in, say, 6 hours labour (being generous), and you're looking at under £300 from most independant garages.
It would cost around £250 all inclusive at the (trusted) garage I use in rural Devon.
Seamster15
My Cars:

Post by Seamster15 »

Thanks Arry B for the quick reponse... BTW which part of Devon do you reside? I grew up in Sunny Teignmouth!
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

I'm 15 miles away.
Teignmouth is a favorite place for our kids.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

I have first hand experience of this. Cheapest quote I got was £480 from an exhaust/clutch centre.
So I bought the clutch from here I think, cost about £110 back then inc vat and helped fit it at local garage as I knew the owner. He only charged me £200 as I helped but good god what a b*tch of a job! Had to lower the front subframe in the end as it just wouldnt go back in! Way more than 6 hours to do it as the 16v's engine bay is a comedy farce of wires and rubbish! Probably 7 hours min with no trouble and 10 if no specific experience of one.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by VisaGTi16v</i>

the 16v's engine bay is a comedy farce of wires and rubbish! <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Pah, you want to do a clutch on a V6 XM, then we'll talk [;)]
Actually, you probably don't.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

heh, someone at my work reckons it would be possible to do an engine swap on a zx 16v in about 6 hours. Im half tempted to let him try doing it on mine with a suitable bet in place of course as its just a joke under the bonnet. Sensors for all kinds of rubbish. Dread to think what it would have been like if it had the pnuematic suspension as well! Then I look at my Visa with its older bx 16v 1.9 lump and its loverly, so simple, none of this massive inlet manifold rubbish, not many wires etc!