BX problem (+ not mine!)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Rob Marshall

BX problem (+ not mine!)

Post by Rob Marshall »

Lady came into work today with a 1988 BX RD Turbo saloon. Stated she had just driven in with STOP on the dash and another light on under it.
Knowing I had the same model, she invited me out to her 176,000 mile warhorse. Started engine, up first go (quieter than mine to!), sure enough, STOP and coolent level light on.
She said she topped up the water "right to the top" yesterday. I openp the rad cap, fired the beast up, and revved it up to around 2000 revs. Sure enough; a small stream of bubbles emerged from the murky pool.
I have said I suspect the head gasket has gone. Could there be anything less gramatic causing the problem.
The rest of the car looks OK on the outside, but engine is a bit mucky and there is rot on the inner wheelarches.
Her mechanic ("dad") is away at the mo, but I have advised her to keep lots of water in the boot, and top it up everyday.
Could it be anything else? It doesn't look like there are any leaks, so we could be -1 BX down soon!
ROB
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Looks like you are correct in your diagnosis, I'm afraid. Obviously try a good bleed but if the car needed topping up then 99% certain you are looking at a blown HG.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

My vote on your diagnose too.
Rob Marshall

Post by Rob Marshall »

mmm, it appears she overheated it. The yellow temp light came on while she was crusing down the motorway. She stopped straight away.
Just put a litre of water in it, which filled it to the top of the tank. Fired it up, and the level shot back down (lots of bubbling.)
Put anopther litre in it, and told her to drive back slowly, and if the stop light comes on, let it cool down & top it up...
...will update in the morning....
Rob Marshall

Post by Rob Marshall »

20 miles later - water light hasn't come on this morning...yet....