Driveshaft oil seals

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Pug106Dave
My Cars:

Driveshaft oil seals

Post by Pug106Dave »

HI guys
Well I feel stupid today! changes left hand driveshaft on my 1.5d 106 on Saturday, all went very smoothly.... Untill I noticed the large pool of gearbox oil underneath the car on sunday night! So who shoulf have listened to MR Haynes and changed the seals at the same time?? Bugger, so just after any advice on how easy it is to do? as am going to try and change it after work today and hope its not raining and doesnt go dark on me. Also does anybody know roughly what size socket I need as a drift to drive it in with? as will have to have a trip to H*lfords at lunch to get one?
Regards
dave
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Why not just use the old seal and a block of wood to drive the new one in with. They're not usually all that hard; just prise out with a screwdriver and leave the plastic lip guard in place.
Alan S
Pug106Dave
My Cars:

Post by Pug106Dave »

What a simple idea!
Cheers mate, now why didn't I think of that!
sponix
My Cars:

Post by sponix »

....or alternatively take the new seal to halfords and get a socket to match.
roypch

Post by roypch »

I am in the process of replacing the right hand side(not the driver side) drive shaft seal as it was leaking badly. The old seal had a white teflon ring attached to the oil seal (outside edge had a groove to which this was seated). but the new one has none of that. Its outside edge is flat and there is no depression to take the old teflon ring and insert into this new seal.
Kindly advise whether i can use this new seal as is without any extra white teflon ring in between the oil seal and dust cap of the shaft. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Roy
roypch

Post by roypch »

forgot to add that old seal is just like the one shown in Haynes Fig 6.8 of chapter 7A. new one is just one piece with no white ring shown in this picture with slits on the inner circle.
thanks again
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

what car and which revision of the haynes! in the case of the BX there are around 5 different revisions! The reason you have no teflon ring is because its probably not an OEM part, drive seals are often worth buying from the car manufacturer, as in past history they tend to have these extras! none the less it shouldn't make any difference at all and i wouldnt worry about it!
roypch

Post by roypch »

Many thanks Vanny.
Car is 1994 xantia 1.9 td. how stupid of me not to mention it.
I bought it from the main dealer at a hefty 10 plus pounds :-(
roypch

Post by roypch »

thanks again folks !. I asked the citroen parts people and they said new seals are slighly different and this 'white' ring thingy is only a protector.
cheers
tarmac1
My Cars:

Post by tarmac1 »

Sorry to bug you mate but if you went on the peugeot forum thay might give you more help seeing as this is a Citroen forum.
Ok
Cherrz