air bag light still on...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jpacoupe

air bag light still on...

Post by jpacoupe »

Mornin'
I've soldered the wires on the connectors under the seats and left the battery off for 2 hrs to discharge everything but my airbag light stays on.
So I'm guessing its the connector thing on the steering wheel?
Can someone give me an idea how difficult / fiddley this is to replace? Marks out of ten for awkwardness please.
Also, will I need and special tools?
ta
jpacoupe

Post by jpacoupe »

by the way, its a 1996 Xantia..
jpacoupe

Post by jpacoupe »

Come on guys...
Someone must know how to do this.
Philjw
My Cars:

Post by Philjw »

jpacoupe,
I just did this on my 97 19TD. It's not dificult but it is expensive if you buy new. The replacement part for mine including VAT was £100.33. This is the price for the one with steering wheel radio buttons and you will need the VIN or RP to order the right one.
You will need to disconnect the battery and leave well alone for ten minutes (as you did for the seat wire) and mark the position of the steering wheel. Use a piece of masking tape on the wheel, another on the top shroud and mark a straight line across the two.
Next you will need to remove the steering wheel. It's easier to move the steering if the front wheels are safely supported off the ground but I guess that this is not essential.
Turn the steering wheel through 90 degrees to gain access to the screws which hold the air bag in place. They are torx size 30 and sit at a jaunty angle. They are captive in the airbag so won't fall out. Disconnect the airbag wire by pulling the orange connector off. Carefully remove the airbag and store in a safe place. Also disconnect the radio button plug from the connector in the PCB in the centre of the wheel.
Now turn the wheel back so the wheels are straight ahead. It is vital that the wheels are still straight when you put in the new rotary connector and that the tow indicator arrow heads are aligned. (They will be if you buy the new part - the two moving discs are held aligned by a piece of plastic with a ring pull on the end)
Use a smaller size tork screw driver to remove the bottom and top shrouds from the steering column.
To remove the steering wheel, loosen the centre nut by a few turns but do not remove it all the way. Tap the wheel upwards, with a rubber mallet if you have one, to free it from the column, then remove the nut and washer. This technique stops the wheel flying off, taking the wiring with it.
Feed the wiring connectors through the hole provided in the steering wheel and remove the wheel from the column. You wil now see the rotary connector and be able to remove the wiring from it. The connector for the airbag circuit is clipped to dashboard and I chose to remove the panel beneath the instrument panel to gain access to the clip. This is held by a couple of torx screws and also snapped into the base of the panel so will need pulling out. Pull out the old rotary connector and drop in the new one. Feed through the wires and re-connect.
In the time honoured words "assembly is the reverse of disassembly" but be sure that the wheels are straight ahead and the arrow heads aigned before replacing the wheel. Be sure to pull out the plastic ring pull too.
When you replace the steering wheel align the marks you made on the wheel and shroud. Torque the wheel retaining nut to 22lb ft. This is not very tight so avoid over tightening if you dont have a torque wrench.
You will need to re-input the radio code, reset the clock and perhaps switch off the alarm with the plip if it goes off.
<b>Essential Tools:</b>
Selection of Torx drivers (sizes 30 and I think 20)
Socket and short extension bar for steering wheel retaining nut
<b>Optional tools</b>
Jack
Axle stands
Rubber mallet
Torque wrench
Reckon its only about 5 out of ten on the awkwardness stakes.
I was sucessful in putting out the air bag light but the radio controls still don't work, apart from the mute - DOH!
jpacoupe

Post by jpacoupe »

Perfect.
thank You.