AX for the Mrs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dave40
My Cars:

AX for the Mrs

Post by Dave40 »

No I'm not offering a swap!
Have always had old Polo Coupes but my good lady is starting to do more travelling & I'm considering something a little more modern. I'm really pleased with my second ZX so thought I'd look at the AX.
Any thoughts or opinions, or alternatives?
Jazz2001
My Cars:

Post by Jazz2001 »

Stay with the Polo. Plastic is more resistant than the bodywork on an AX. Well it was with the older ones, id hope they would have changed them since.
Jazz
phil02

Post by phil02 »

Not a bad choice - a lot cheaper than a comparable Fiesta and much more sophisticated than a Nova. If you do, get a later diesel (N/P Reg) with service history - these will go on forever if they're looked after. A lot more lightweight than the Polo and feels it but much more fun to drive. If you get a high-mileage small-engined AX (e.g. 1.0, 1.1) with little or no service history it will likely be troublesome. Resists rust well like the Polo, but as Jazz2001 says they dent like a crisp packet.
cheesesliceking

Post by cheesesliceking »

Go for one of the later model Forte's have the GT kit & electrics.[:)]
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

AXs are fine cars. Economical, good to the environment, as quick as anybody needs, cheap in almost every respect (and that includes quality) and reliable.
Personally, although its not that important to most people, I really like the steering which doesn't have a ridiculous number of turns lock-to-lock like most non-power steering cars. It does feel like a box with wheels but I still think there is nothing at all wrong with them. Just dont crash one!
And, having driven and having had VWs in the family, I really dont see what all the fuss is about with them. They are as unreliable as Citroens, they are heavy, they are basic, they are 'boy-racer' like in the way that they drive, they dont have brilliant engines/gearboxes and I really think they dont drive at all nicely.
They dont feel like they are about to fall to bits like a Citroen but as long as either car is reliable is that important?
cheesesliceking

I was crashed into @ 35 ish.. killed the AX but me & the missus were OK. [:D]
Cheap to insure, you can do most of the work yourself & they're nippy
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Don't get a diesel with the aluminum block - ie 1.4 - they blow up. having said that no doubt all 3 people who have done mega mileages in them will post here!
Later ones (N P?) with the iron block (1.5) are apparently much sturdier.
having said that what about another (well specified?) ZX? My wife is still thrilled with hers after 18 months (1.9D Avantage)
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

I guess for a second car the cheap tax bracket is fairly important so that leaves you with a very limited choice if you want a mega-economical diesel but a broader choice if you go petrol.
In my opinion the latter AXs are perfect for a second car - reliable, cheap (to maintain and run), surprisingly roomy (and pleasantly light and airy) inside and, once you get used to the offset pedals, comfortable and fun to drive. I remember the early days of my AX and how comfortable I thought it was; moving down from a Mazda 626, I expected the little diesel roller-skate to be a bag of nails but it wasn't.
Despite putting nearly 100k miles on my little 1.4 diesel in three years, I would agree that a latter 1.5 diesel is a better buy. They are slightly sturdier (or should I say slightly less flimsy!) and more modern in appearance. The 1.5 is still known for blowing head gaskets but at least you won't get a warped head <i>and</i> block. Having said that I drove my car for 6 months with a failing head gasket and when I boiled over I filed up and went on. Maybe I am lucky but I found the engine to be very robust.
Oh, I meant to say get a 5-door model if you go down the AX route - all the doors open wide in the Citroen fashion and the rear doors make loading (rear passengers or items) a lot easier. You wouldn't believe what I've loaded in mine...
Dave40
My Cars:

Post by Dave40 »

Thanks for the feedback folks, plenty of food for thought.
Jeremy. I suggested another ZX to my other half but she didn't fancy idea. Being a small lady she finds knowing where the extremities of 'larger' cars are difficult & would agree with me that after a few weeks supermarket parking would probably have a ZX down to AX proportions anyhow!
I like the sound of both the 1.5Ds and Fortes, so will start having a look see what's out there. Any ideas on values?
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

Thats another good point. I bought my first AX when I was a student studying in the city centre. What a pleasure it was to park on a road where most other cars wouldn't fit! I think that was one of the most appealing things about the car at the time having come from a BX.
Off the subject a little, if anybody read my previous post on how I would like to rid the world of the Citroen Xsara then we can add to that car's list of faults: Virtually no visability!
phil02

Post by phil02 »

I would have thought you shouldn't need to pay more than £1200 for a late 1.5D AX and that should be a pretty tidy car. Most late AX's I've seen go for no more than £1600 on a garage forecourt and that's a bit steep.
gardenpeas
My Cars:

Post by gardenpeas »

had my 1.0 dimension 2 years 76000 miles only just starting to kill it after 5 crashes if the missus has trouble parking bumpers are cheap. taking the sunroof out in the summer allways good, petrol probably better less noise
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

heres why you should get an ax although this is a Gt, at a airfield sprint i was marshalling :)
http://www.sevenoaksmotorclub.com/galle ... 042005.jpg
davejevons

Post by davejevons »

[8D]I'm planning on sprinting my AX GT when it stays together for more than 5 minutes. Tey do roll a bit though [:p]
dave
cheesesliceking

did u take the pic?