xantia headlights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

den169
My Cars:

xantia headlights

Post by den169 »

Hi has anyone put more powerfull light bulbs in there xantia headlights mine are not that good in the dark as far as i know the lenses are plastic so i don't want to go too powerfull and melt the case.
cheers
den169
My Cars:

Post by den169 »

Sorry should have said its a 98 estate r reg
jimthain
My Cars:

Post by jimthain »

had the very same problem with mine! try www.powerbulbs.com i upgraded mine to the osram silver star to start with but got quiet a few flashes for all my efforts, then on a trip to france i came across a pair of philips vision plus for 15 quid in the carrefour @ calais. no more flashes and visibility is almost as good. the osrams moved to the full beam housing.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

You need to be careful with bigger wattage bulbs. The increse in current draw may effect the light switch and burn it out if it is too high. Also local old bill can get a little too in volved some times and may pull you over. Probably better to uprate to some of the new breed of buld with the same wattage but have a different gas fitted, think Ha****ds do a new range that improve lighting on both the main and dipped beam. And befor I forget is the head light unit silver backing OK, if this has yellowed or peeled away this too witll kna**er the head light.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

The advantage of both Philips VisionPlus and Osram Silverstar are that they are standard rating - 55W or 60W depending on H4 or H1. But the manufacturers have traded off filament life for extra brightness, so you get about 50% more light on the road and the lamps last just over a year a piece. Well worth the trouble!
//NiSk
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by den169</i>

Hi has anyone put more powerfull light bulbs in there xantia headlights
cheers
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yes! I've put Phillips Vision+ in mine. Mainly because I do night driving on the continent and with beam benders on the lenses, it reduces the light output even more.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I put Halfords own whiter head lamp bulbs in a few years ago now for the same reason.There better but there are even better ones on the market now.For the main beam,i put in 100w standard bulbs.A vast improvement,better long range,much brighter.That was 2 yrs ago now.No probs with them.Headlamp reflectors still look as new,so probs with heat.