Help - I need a sump urgently

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

morgaine
My Cars:

Help - I need a sump urgently

Post by morgaine »

Just got into work and got told that my car was leaking oil - went out to it and there is no oil in the car and about 5 gallons on the floor under it.
My local garage told me I am looking at £270 fitted.
Please please please does anyone have a cheap sump going for a 1995 Xantia Turbo Diesel (non aircon)?
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Ow! The good news is that there are plenty around. I think that the garage were taking the pickle a bit!
jakeuk
My Cars:

Post by jakeuk »

i bet you'd get 1 for £15-20 at a breakers yard
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Does it just need the drain plug put back in?
5 litres of oil, 1 new copper washer, 1 new drain plug, that'll be £270 please sir.
morgaine
My Cars:

Post by morgaine »

Unfortunately I think the back of the sump has gone. It's been getting porous for a while. I've put an ad online this morning but no breakers have replied. It's left me in a bit of a mess, as I travel 80 miles a day to work and back, there is no public transport by me and I haven't got £270!
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Is this a steel or an alloy sump? There are ways of fixing both which can be done without anything more than axle stands, cleaners and repair putties/ sealants, so don't give up, let's try to approach the problem sideways on.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by morgaine</i>

Just got into work and got told that my car was leaking oil - went out to it and there is no oil in the car and about 5 gallons on the floor under it.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
With 5 gallons on the floor There is probably another 4 cars with holed sumps[:D]
As Tom says don't panic
prm
My Cars:

Post by prm »

As a temporary measure -- Plastic Padding make an oil and fuel resistant epoxy filler called Leak Fix - about £3.
If its just one or two holes, remove the sump and Set 3/16 long stem ali rivets with this filler as an internal sealer.
Even used rivets without removing the sump --yuck. Used a drill, to best part 9/10ths through, punched remainder to keep swarf out . Not the most ideal repair !!
With that amount of liquid on the floor are you sure its not the tank !!!
R
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

What goes wrong with a sump?
Neither of mine will rust through since they've got plenty of oil covering them and the only other thing I can think of is the sump plug vibrating loose and dropping out.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

To fix the sump, get the car up high on axle stands and wash the sump off with white spirit until clean and dry.Abrade bad area with emery paper until clean. Silastic sealant will cover most small holes, if not, use epoxy putty.
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

What goes wrong with a sump? Road damage - or rust-through on sumps without the normal Cit protective coat, just like the oil-tank in the garden.
morgaine
My Cars:

Post by morgaine »

Just got back home on the back of a recovery truck - now the car is jacked up it looks like just one corner is very badly corroded - and the huge oil spill seems to be coming from one hole about 4mm in size!
I'm not sure if it's alloy or cast - I THINK it's cast. The plan of action at the moment is to clean it up, rivet it, then reinforce it with fibreglass or something along those lines. I am going to try to do it with the sump on, if possible. Although that may not be practical!
Does this sound a workable plan? I will swap it at some stage if I can get hold of a second hand one, but from what I've seen today that may take a while.
Thanks for all your help, I was panicking a little this morning it has to be said :)
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

If you can get it really clean with petrol and dry it off.
Try and find a 5mm self tapping screw or bolt.
Buy some rapid dry Araldite, apply glue to screw/bolt and wind it in the hole.
If you use rapid dry it should be fixed very quick and will be oil tight for years.
Good luck
TheWorker
My Cars:

Post by TheWorker »

if your not sure if the sump is steel or alloy just put magnet to it
morgaine
My Cars:

Post by morgaine »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TheWorker</i>

if your not sure if the sump is steel or alloy just put magnet to it
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
LOL - believe it or not I couldn't find anything magnetic in the house!
Oiltight for years sounds good. One year would be most acceptable :)