406 Clonks on Corners

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

StewartC
My Cars:

406 Clonks on Corners

Post by StewartC »

Can someone point me in the right direction here ?
My 406 has started to make a single clonking noise as you take a sweeping corner - you can actually feel the clonk through the accelerator pedal. It only seems to happen above 35mph and doesn't happen everytime - some days it doesn't occur at all, other days it happens on every bend.
I can't feel any play in the wheel bearings but... It's a 96 model thats covered 64k. Apart from new discs last year everything else is original. Any clues as to what to check?
Thanks for any advice.
Stewart
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Maybe one or both outer CV joints. Jack up each wheel and try holding the driveshaft still whilst slowly moving the wheel backwards and forwards. Sometimes clicking can be heard as it takes up the slack.
skes
My Cars:

Post by skes »

I got a clunk (amongst other noises) now and then when braking or turning a corner and it turned out it was worn wishbone bushes, i guess its worth a look.
skes
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

I had exactly the same problem you describe on my previous car (seat Leon) and it turned out to tbe the CV joints, it wasntcheap to fix unfortunatly as the dealer charged me £550 to replace the two (company car luckily then!!)
Mine seemed worse if i was lightly accelerating whilst cornering, if i coasted round a corner or applied full power it didnt do it, the dealer said it both these conditions force the drive shaft to take up the play in the CV joint which is why it didnt do it then
StewartC
My Cars:

Post by StewartC »

Thanks for your thoughts - I'll take a closer look over the weekend and see if I can track it down.
Thanks,
Stewart
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Mate of mine had one of these a few years ago as a lease car through work. On one occasion we travelled together in his car and I heard this alarming single clonk on bends.
Long story short, Kwikfit had replaced his exhaust and not tightened the top engine mounts after their fiddling around. Worth a check, we had to borrow a 17mm spanner from a garage in the middle of Salisbury Plain just as they were planning to go home....