Grand C4 Spacetourer Puretech 130 EAT8 creeps forwards and backwards on tickover.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ygw
Donor 2024

Grand C4 Spacetourer Puretech 130 EAT8 creeps forwards and backwards on tickover.

Post by ygw »

When I bring my Grand C4 Spacetourer with 8-speed automatic gearbox to a halt, unless I move the gear selector to neutral, the clutch doesn't disengage fully. This means that as soon as I release the foot-brake when in D or R mode, the car creeps forwards or backwards as appropriate. Is this behaviour normal, and if so, will it risk overheating and prematurely wearing out the clutch? If it's not supposed to happen, is there an adjustment that can be made to eradicate it? The creep speed seems rather quick to this old fella (80 yrs young next Sept) and I need to control the speed of movement with careful brake action. I don't remember my earlier Grand C4 Picasso diesel with 6-speed automatic box behaving the same way.

Thanks in advance,

ygw
ygw
Donor 2024

Re: Grand C4 Spacetourer Puretech 130 EAT8 creeps forwards and backwards on tickover.

Post by ygw »

Hi Guys, I've found the answer!

On page 89 of the paper Basic Guide, and on page 137 of the online drivers' handbook, there is an information paragraph referring to the gear selector which states: "If position R, D, or M is selected when the engine is running at idle, with the brakes released, the vehicle moves even without the accelerator being pressed".
In both publications the statement is on the same page as the paragraph about Hill Start Assist, which is what I was researching when I discovered the "creep" information by accident. The actual paragraph appears in the section entitled "Starting the Vehicle".

As it's clearly a design feature, presumably I don't need to worry about clutch overheating or wear.

Gordon
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Re: Grand C4 Spacetourer Puretech 130 EAT8 creeps forwards and backwards on tickover.

Post by RichardW »

The EAT8 is a 'proper' torque converter auto, not a robotised manual, so creep is normal.
Richard W
ygw
Donor 2024

Post by ygw »

Thank you Richard. That's very good to know!!

Gordon