2008-2017 C5 (X7) first buyer. Help needed

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Zlatje

2008-2017 C5 (X7) first buyer. Help needed

Post by Zlatje »

Hello!
  • I am getting a headache trying to find out what trim levels and model years H3+ suspension is fitted on. I have been searching on forums for hours and so far, as I understand it, ONLY the exclusive trim gets the H3+ on C5 X7. It is supposed to be easy to spot on pictures which has the ''Sport'' button. All other versions between 2008-2017 have normal suspension(?).
    If that is the case, why am I seeing the ''sport'' and up and down buttons on, for example, a 2010 that does not have the exclusive trim? The earlier H3 was never available on 2008 and onward, only on mk1?

I also see cars on sale which mention it has the thicker side windows and they are again, not exclusive trim. Were they added on all the 2008+?

If H3+ is not only for the exclusive trim, I do not see too many reasons to pay almost x2 money for the trim unless I really want xenon lights and some minor things? I have failed to find a comprehensive list of all the different trims. Makes it confusing, especially since the SatNav is an option for example.
  • I am also seeing that the most common and expensive issue is high pressure power steering pipes going bad. Not only is it an expensive fix, but the spare parts aren't even available? I read here that someone was on his 3rd set. Now it is mid 2024, if it goes bad, the car is scrap? Exclusive 2015 models are on sale for about 8.800 euros and we have salt on our roads during winter. I do not want to scrap my car first winter and lose all my money. Should I look at a different year model or even at another car? Megane Grandtour is also cheap and economical....

Thanks for all the help!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: 2008-2017 C5 (X7) first buyer. Help needed

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Not sure where to start as you're a bit 'all over the place here' so I'll try and address these in point order

1) C5 X7 only had Hydractive 3+ suspension on exclusive models. As an example from the 2009 UK brochure, these are the standard extras over and above the VTR+ trim:

• Hydractive 3+ suspension
• Electric front seats (slide, tilt, height, seat, lumbar, shoulder with memory for driver's seat)
• Tyre pressure monitor
• Chrome effect window trims
• Leather steering wheel with chrome effect inserts
• Front and rear carpet mats
• Chrome effect inserts on dashboard
• Part leather upholstery
• Interior mood lighting
• Acoustic laminated side windows
• Rear parking sensors
• 17" 'Baltic' alloy wheels (set of four)
• 18" 'Atlantic' alloy wheels (set of four – 3.0HDi model only)
• Multi-function on-board trip computer with colour screen
• Automatic electric parking brake and Hill Start Assist function
• Electric tailgate (Tourer only)

Hydractive 3+ on the MK III (X7) had an additional centre sphere at the rear, so 7 suspension spheres in all.
It's likely the model you saw was an exclusive, but may have been missing the badge, but there was no Hydractive suspension on non-exclusive models at all. They would of been fitted with steel springs and standard struts.

One other thing, don't get your trim levels confused with additional options!

You could buy an exclusive that was still fitted with a standard RD4 radio! It all depends on the year of build and what they included from country to country as standard - these options changed frequently. So for example My exclusive had full leather electric heated memory seats with massage function for driver - but this was an optional extra at a few thousand £s, and if you wanted Sat Nav you could specify that at another £1000. The later NG4 from 2009 was available at about £1500 extra.

Then there are extras like extra side airbags in the rear passenger seats, electric sunroof. Bi-directional Xenon headlights were another extra and not standard equipment, same for Lane Departure Warning (AFIL) which has sensors on the front underside.

So it's not all clear cut I'm afraid. Much is the same today - there are the various trim levels with certain equipment and then there are option packs that cost extra.

As for steering racks - yes , this has been the only car ever in my life that has had a steering rack failure and yes, in my case I was on my third one when I sold mine. The failure is water settling on the rack pinion, causing rust and degradation of the pinion seals, allowing further water ingress and more corrosion. Many of us with this issue made modifications to help negate this when we had our refurbished and coated racks put on.

As for parts, unfortunately when Carlos Tavares declared the end of Hydropneumatic / Hydractive suspension with the C5 X7, that meant parts were going to dry up rapidly and the worst problem is with the hydraulic pipes to the steering rack, some of which have been no longer available for years now. This has prompted members to try and source alternative manufacturers or to fashion their own!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)

Post by Richard_C »

An excellent summary, one issue is that Citroen kept changing the equipment spec without telling anyone. Following my C5 VTR+Nav I now have a 2016 C4 Picasso Excl+ which is missing much of the kit that came on ones built a few months earlier' - the advertising brochure didn't keep up with the production line reality. If you are buying, the only safe way to know exactly what you are getting is to check what the actual car has, not what the brochure says it should have.

I recall that H3 was fitted on some lower trim models in the Netherlands, and I see that the OP lists their location as Sweden - that might mean wholly different set of equipment variations.

I found my steel sprung VTR+ to be very comfortable indeed, maybe not as good as H3 but better than many other cars. I was sad to see it go, with 163 bhp and loads of torque it was a great long distance cruiser.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
Zlatje

Post by Zlatje »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 08 Jul 2024, 22:50 Not sure where to start as you're a bit 'all over the place here' so I'll try and address these in point order

1) C5 X7 only had Hydractive 3+ suspension on exclusive models. As an example from the 2009 UK brochure, these are the standard extras over and above the VTR+ trim:

• Hydractive 3+ suspension
• Electric front seats (slide, tilt, height, seat, lumbar, shoulder with memory for driver's seat)
• Tyre pressure monitor
• Chrome effect window trims
• Leather steering wheel with chrome effect inserts
• Front and rear carpet mats
• Chrome effect inserts on dashboard
• Part leather upholstery
• Interior mood lighting
• Acoustic laminated side windows
• Rear parking sensors
• 17" 'Baltic' alloy wheels (set of four)
• 18" 'Atlantic' alloy wheels (set of four – 3.0HDi model only)
• Multi-function on-board trip computer with colour screen
• Automatic electric parking brake and Hill Start Assist function
• Electric tailgate (Tourer only)

Hydractive 3+ on the MK III (X7) had an additional centre sphere at the rear, so 7 suspension spheres in all.
It's likely the model you saw was an exclusive, but may have been missing the badge, but there was no Hydractive suspension on non-exclusive models at all. They would of been fitted with steel springs and standard struts.

One other thing, don't get your trim levels confused with additional options!

You could buy an exclusive that was still fitted with a standard RD4 radio! It all depends on the year of build and what they included from country to country as standard - these options changed frequently. So for example My exclusive had full leather electric heated memory seats with massage function for driver - but this was an optional extra at a few thousand £s, and if you wanted Sat Nav you could specify that at another £1000. The later NG4 from 2009 was available at about £1500 extra.

Then there are extras like extra side airbags in the rear passenger seats, electric sunroof. Bi-directional Xenon headlights were another extra and not standard equipment, same for Lane Departure Warning (AFIL) which has sensors on the front underside.

So it's not all clear cut I'm afraid. Much is the same today - there are the various trim levels with certain equipment and then there are option packs that cost extra.

As for steering racks - yes , this has been the only car ever in my life that has had a steering rack failure and yes, in my case I was on my third one when I sold mine. The failure is water settling on the rack pinion, causing rust and degradation of the pinion seals, allowing further water ingress and more corrosion. Many of us with this issue made modifications to help negate this when we had our refurbished and coated racks put on.

As for parts, unfortunately when Carlos Tavares declared the end of Hydropneumatic / Hydractive suspension with the C5 X7, that meant parts were going to dry up rapidly and the worst problem is with the hydraulic pipes to the steering rack, some of which have been no longer available for years now. This has prompted members to try and source alternative manufacturers or to fashion their own!
Thanks for the answer. My post was indeed messy..

What I learnt from you is H3+ is only on the exclusive trim on X7, end of discussion. Other X7 is on normal springs. Correct? And I can definately spot H3+ by the Sport and arrow up and down buttons?
Many ads are listing wrong specs and that is confusing me.

Now I know that I should only look for the exlusive trim models.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Correct
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc