Xantia Expansion tank

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

momag46
(Donor 2020)

Xantia Expansion tank

Post by momag46 »

Hi guys, had a new/second hand expansion header tank fitted a while back and the level indicator is different from the original.
The old one had a black ridge? in it while the replacement has a white inner thing with what looks like a level ridge that looks much lower in the tank. Also this white moulding has a piece that sticks upwards towards the back of the tank.
The water level is now just below the ridge where previously it has been higher and I had not noticed the white moulding.
My car is a series 2, is this header tank from a series 1? If so where should the level be?

Thanks Maurice
1999 V6 Xantia
2014 C4 Picasso 1.6hdi Exclusive
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Re: Xantia Expansion tank

Post by xantia_v6 »

I am not aware of any change in the tank or sensor during production of the V6. Perhaps a sensor from a different model has been fitted to the tank.

I have always assumed that the level is correct when just covering the white plastic structure inside the tank.
The owners handbook gives no useful information.
momag46
(Donor 2020)

Re: Xantia Expansion tank

Post by momag46 »

Thanks, the level indicator in the original tank was black and definitely high up and probably about 40mm from the top of the cap opening, the “new” one is much lower.
I don’t think there’s a problem, just curious.
1999 V6 Xantia
2014 C4 Picasso 1.6hdi Exclusive