Help identifying switch placed by previous owner

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pedro205

Help identifying switch placed by previous owner

Post by pedro205 »

Hello,

It's the first time i'm writing in this forum, It's been really helpful in understanding some aspects of my peugeot 205. I have a specific question that i'm hopping someone can answer.

Recently I found this hidden on/off switch behind the bonnet release lever. It doesn't seem to do anything, everything works the same. I've traced it to a wire connected to the fusebox as seen in the image below.
IMG_7675.jpeg
I've consulted these diagrams but I still cannot understand what the purpose of the switch is.
Last edited by pedro205 on 08 Jul 2024, 07:45, edited 2 times in total.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Help identifying switch placed by previous owner

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Please don't link to external image hosting sites as there's no need. Please upload images direct to the forum.

You can use the Full Editor & Preview button > Attachments > Browse Phone or PC for image > Upload > Place Image where you want it.

We probably won't be able to help you if this 'switch' has been fitted by a previous owner as it won't be original equipment, so not sure how you think we will know?
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

My best guess is that the switch is (or was as it doesn't seem to have an effect now) an engine immobilising device.

You say you've traced it to the fusebox. Is that both wires or just one?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
LedZep
Donor 2024

Post by LedZep »

My guess is that if it is triggered from the bonnet, maybe it's an old alarm switch in case when someone was trying to disable the alarm or siren. I've seen this recently in a toyota corolla of a friend.A photo would be helpful.
Another guess is that maybe it was a secret kill switch anti theft high end technology.Very common from the oldies.My grand parent had one in his 504. We never found it..
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

Any symbols on the switch?

I'd be a bit like this too >
Last edited by myglaren on 08 Jul 2024, 09:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: YouTube link.
pedro205

Post by pedro205 »

LedZep wrote: 07 Jul 2024, 14:24 My guess is that if it is triggered from the bonnet, maybe it's an old alarm switch in case when someone was trying to disable the alarm or siren. I've seen this recently in a toyota corolla of a friend.A photo would be helpful.
Another guess is that maybe it was a secret kill switch anti theft high end technology.Very common from the oldies.My grand parent had one in his 504. We never found it..
I’ve reattached a photo of the fuse box wire and switch. My guess was also a kill switch of sorts but it doesn’t seem to kill anything :? The car starts just fine.
pedro205

Post by pedro205 »

Paul-R wrote: 07 Jul 2024, 10:41 My best guess is that the switch is (or was as it doesn't seem to have an effect now) an engine immobilising device.

You say you've traced it to the fusebox. Is that both wires or just one?
Both wires go to the fuse box. I’ve added a photo for clarity. They just split a wire that goes into one of the connectors and added a switch.
pedro205

Post by pedro205 »

wheeler wrote: 08 Jul 2024, 07:26 Any symbols on the switch?

I'd be a bit like this too > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WYGdstEVJQ
Yeah that’s spot on :lol:
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

Yeah there is absolutely no way i would be able to just ignore a ‘mystery’ switch. I would have to find out what it does or what it used to do.

Does your switch have any symbols on it?
Its still worth uploading a picture for us to have a look at.
pedro205

Post by pedro205 »

No symbols, it’s just a random switch.

I’ve added a photo to the main post but I’ll add some more here in case that’s not working.
IMG_7675.jpeg
IMG_7674.jpeg
IMG_7678.jpeg
LedZep
Donor 2024

Post by LedZep »

You have to trace the electric circuit and it will be easier if you find the electric diagram of your car. Otherwise we are just guessing like Monica :)) . A good start is to check with a meter the circuit between switch, plug and two empty relays, if there are contacts. I see also a "patent" with clip of house electric joint.Not very promising.
Βut since I like to guess, I'll make one last attempt: after market spot lights.
PaulC5
Donor 2024

Post by PaulC5 »

If you can read the numbers on the original wires that would help find them on the wiring diagram so you might be able to see which circuit has been spliced in to.
pedro205

Post by pedro205 »

I think I’ve found the corresponding diagram.
IMG_7681.jpeg
It is in French but as far as I know Module Allumage translates to ignition module. So I guess it is in fact an ignition kill switch. My question is why doesn't it do anything? I'll test it with a multimeter later today.
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

wheeler wrote: 08 Jul 2024, 07:26I'd be a bit like this too >
And I'd be afraid of this.

As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
LedZep
Donor 2024

Post by LedZep »

pedro205 wrote: 08 Jul 2024, 11:59 It is in French but as far as I know Module Allumage translates to ignition module. So I guess it is in fact an ignition kill switch. My question is why doesn't it do anything? I'll test it with a multimeter later today.
Be careful and step by step with electrics for not further damage because as i can see the previous owner use a switch of old fashion electronics and not for automotive use and unknown amperage load, with wires that tied them up all together. He uses also a connector for home electric installation. O.k, the car didn't catch fire all these years but all of this seem to be sloppiness. Τhere is also a missing safe in position 14. You have to investigate this. Maybe it's optional but maybe he by pass the circuit. I think this scheme is the closest for ignition circuit of your model in the site that you've already found.Usually with kill switches, they were cutting off the ignition load which is No2=grey wire in your case or the load from key switch. Every good thief who respected himself, knew that.
ob_5e18cd_2-1-allumage-moteur-xu51c.jpg