Noisy gearbox bearings

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Kester_holmes

Noisy gearbox bearings

Post by Kester_holmes »

My daughter just bought a 2008 berlingo 1.6Hdi and unfortunately the gearbox bearings are noisy when driving in gear, loudest in 4th and 5th gear.

I’ve never done a clutch or gearbox before. So trying decide whether or not to take it on.

Would you try gearbox oil first, or is it too late?

Does a standard clutch change also deal with bearings, or will that be an additional gearbox repair?

Thnx.
PaulC5
Donor 2024

Re: Noisy gearbox bearings

Post by PaulC5 »

If the gearbox bearings have worn shown by whining then to replace them means dismantling it. Bearings are cheap enough from a bearing shop but it is the labour if you can not do it yourself. If it is more than just bearings and gears are needed it can become expensive. A cost effective option may be a used gearbox. Whilst the gearbox is removed if is often worth replacing the clutch. If you have not rebuilt a gearbox before you will need a workshop manual and possibly special tools. An engine crane would be useful to lower it to the ground since they are heavy.
Kester_holmes

Post by Kester_holmes »

Thank you for the advice.

Ah, I don’t think I have patience or workshop to take the gears apart! Although guess a gearbox place may be able to work on the box more cheaply, if I remove it.

I may try and source another box, albeit I get the impression berlingo gearbox/clutches are often problematic ….

I presume I have little recourse in going back to the private seller, who must have know about this problem …

Cheers
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

It is possible that the noise is caused by low oil level, and topping up the oil may improve things to some extent.
Steve Walsh
Donor 2024

Post by Steve Walsh »

Bearings in a manual box are not that difficult to change but you will need a reasonable selection of tools, and access to a press. The bearings themselves are not expensive from a bearing supplier but buy a decent brand... Draw yourself a diagram and take photo's of how it is before you dismantle.... I haven't done one for a few years but I think the bearings cost me about 50 quid.....
Thanx to Marc and all the admins & knowledgeable people that make this the best forum on the interweb. =D> =D> =D>
Kester_holmes

Post by Kester_holmes »

Ha! Thanks for the encouragement. Albeit I’m not confident, esp without a workshop and press!

For now, I can’t even figure out exactly how to check and fill the gearbox oil (probably being a wuss!). Is the check level plug on the back of box, near where driveshaft enters it? Top bolt in this photo?

Do I fill it through this, or need to remove battery and cover to find a fill port on top?
Attachments
IMG_6511.jpeg
Kester_holmes

Post by Kester_holmes »

Sorry ignore me, I found a YouTube that shows it’s further outside nearer the wheel. I’ll give it a go.
PaulC5
Donor 2024

Post by PaulC5 »

The Citroen gear boxes often do not have a level plug, instead you drain the oil and then refill with the correct amount through something on top such as the vent.