P15B3 Peugeot 508 180 HDI

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Petri

P15B3 Peugeot 508 180 HDI

Post by Petri »

Hi,

Car has complaint about a fault P15B3 (00) few days. First there was ang EGR code P042F. Reseted it while driving. Came back in a minute.

Reseted again in the evening and has not appeared since.

However, soon I got a persistent P15B3 that seems to refer to additive. I thought car only used addblue, but apprently not. I've got 164000kms.

Reseting the code deosn't help, it comes back even if the engine is not running.

P15B3(00) [0x15B300]
Status: Test failed, Test failed (current drive cycle), Pending, Confirmed, Test failed since last DTC clear
============================
TPMSTPMS
DTCs: 1
----------------------------
C1604(95) [0x560495] Archive (inactive)

VIN/VIS VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

There was also P1199 (7B) fuel level input circuit low. What does that refer to? Reseting took it away so far at least.

Thanks in advance!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: P15B3 Peugeot 508 180 HDI

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I think you misunderstand the differences.

The SCR system (Selective Catalytic Reduction) treats the NOx emissions and is entirely separate from the Diesel Particle Filter Additive system that traps the particulate matter.

The SCR system uses UREA (Adblue) which is injected into the catalytic converter.
The DPF system uses and additive (Eolys) which is dosed into the fuel tank to assist particle filter regeneration by lowering the required exhaust gas temperature required to burn off the particulate matter.

The P15B3 code is referring to the DPF Additive system. You can't just reset the code. The additive requires checking and topping up most likely and then the additive counter in the engine ECU requires resetting. May be a dealer job for quickness unless you have the correct diagnostic equipment and know-how to refill the system.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Petri

Post by Petri »

Yes, thanks!

You are right. To my understanding before Euro6 time cars already had particle filter that required Eolys additive. I thoght that was not needed any more after urea came into use. But thinking more carefully, it's obvious they are different systems. SCR is for NOx and DPF for the particles and the burning of those require addive as well.

When I tried to reset the code I didn't yet know what it was about.

What I don't however understand (as a technical solution) is the fact that Eolys tanks usually are placed in difficult access area. Since the additive is injected to fuel, it might be easier if it was injected to the fuel tank (ok, maybe that would dilute it too much) or even to the fuel hose. The tank could then be intalled to easier access.
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 04 Jul 2024, 09:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged split post
Petri

Post by Petri »

One more thing. Intresting that even with additive DPF will eventually require cleaning. Like for my car the diagnostic tool forecased last autum that I have 40000kms left.

Part of the misundertanding for system function is the systems diagrm I had seen.https://www.ekodpf.fi/wp-content/upload ... _Bosch.png

It doesn't for some reason have the DPF additive at all.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

But the Eolys tanks are next to the fuel tank! They are located next to the fuel tank hidden under the exhaust heat shield protection usually on the left of the tank..

Euro 6+ vehicles also have Eolys additive systems. It depends on the model the build date and the engine as to whether they have assisted regeneration or passive regeneration of the DPF.

Adblue tanks have to be fitted to the rear also, because of their large size and there is no space to fit them anywhere else, so the Adblue supply line is heated to prevent crystallisation as it travels to the catalytic converter for injection as shown in the first video. The Urea in the supply pipe is then sucked back into the tank when the engine is switched off.

DPF System Only (does not show the SCR system)

SCR System
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Petri

Post by Petri »

Thanks for the good animations!

Yeah, the DPF additive tank itself may be near the fuel tank, but for some reason filling up has been made complicated! It should be like next to the fuel fill up. So should Urea fillup, like it is in some cars. With my car as we know it is in slightly difficult access place under the trunk mat. Luckily won't need to fill up often.

If you nearly need repair shop for any fill up, that's bad innovation. Also that the tank has no level measuring and it therefore requires reseting after fill up is not quite ideal.

One can not know if there is additive still left at the time of warning or if it has run out maybe a long before.

I have asked a garage to do it, not that easy to work under a car without a safe lifting mechanism.