Leaking LDS - pump or pipes? C5 X7

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

steveclv

Leaking LDS - pump or pipes? C5 X7

Post by steveclv »

I seem to a small LDS leak that is creating a small patch under the car and it is underneath where the pump and LDS tank sits. I'll check the level today but just wondering if this is likely to be a pump or a pipe joint that is weeping?
The system works fine but obviously I do need to address it asap.
PaulC5
Donor 2024

Re: Leaking LDS - pump or pipes? C5 X7

Post by PaulC5 »

Possibly it is the tank that has split, this can happen if the car is jacked up without first undoing the tank cap and leaving it undone until the car is back on the ground.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

See this post:

LDS Tank Bursting Warning Labels

Not following this advice can, over time, cause the tank to be over-pressurised when fluid is returned back uncontrolled that leads to a weakening of the tank seam and eventual obliteration.

Also be aware that any LDS fluid leaking to the pump assembly below can enter the pump motor and this will cause the fluid to mix with the carbon bush material causing a paste that will short out the pump and blow the fuse, so I wouldn't hang about to leave this to happen.

Also check that the fluid is not centralised and dripping from the rack pinion area - as that will mean the dreaded steering rack replacement if the pinion has rusted and the seal has deformed.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Kees
Donor 2024

Post by Kees »

If you check the LDS level, be careful, to use the right procedure.
Best way is to use the diagbox, otherwise put the car in the low position with the switch and look if you just can see the LDS in the bottom of the opening from the LDS tank.
steveclv

Post by steveclv »

OK, might need some advice here.....
So I lowered the suspension and then depressurised the system using diagbox - took 3 minutes and the car was in the weeds!
Thought everything was fine but when I walked around to the LDS tank, the floor was covered in LDS - a giant pool of it.
So I went to remove the LDS tank screw lid and it was still under pressure - yet Diagbox has said that it was depressurised.
I topped it up to the published level (blue line on the diagram), replaced the screw lid and prayed heavily to whichever god was listening.
I started the car and nothing happened - so I pressed the UP button and the pump kicked and eventually the rear rose up and then the front came up - and then the pump turned off.
I have no idea where all of the LDS came from - it's not from the tank as if that was split then it wouldn't hold any pressure and it was certainly pressurised.
Does anyone have any ideas how/what caused all of this please?
Thanks!!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You should of removed the LDS tank screw BEFORE lowering! This is what can happen if it has been overfilled by somebody previously.

Marc
steveclv

Post by steveclv »

Phew - ok that makes sense as the car is new to me - I suspect that someone just lowered the suspension and then filled it rather than doing a full depressurisation - I'll have to keep and eye on it for a while. Thanks for the quick reply!!
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

You don't fill up to the top when it's at its lowest point. You fill so that it's barely visible at the bottom of well in the plastic mesh there. Any more than that and it's over filled. There are posts here with a drawing showing this. Basically it's lower than you would think.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
steveclv

Post by steveclv »

Yep, got that Paul - there are two levels on the diagram, the low mark is the corrugated plate at the bottom and the high mark is the blue line - I put it half between the two. I am suspecting that dumping the LDS was because I didn't remove the cap BEFORE depressurising, as Marc advised - stupid me!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

LDS MK III.PNG
Between a and b when fully depressurised using Lexia / Diagbox, so a little less on the lowest suspension setting without using a diagnostic tool.

Marc
Kees
Donor 2024

Post by Kees »

@Steve:
You said "I topped it up to the published level (blue line on the diagram)"

I don't understand, because there was a lot of LDS on the floor.
For me this means, there was to much of LDS in the tank.
Greetings,
Kees.
steveclv

Post by steveclv »

Kees
Yes, it was actually just between the orange/blue line.
I had to add 750ml to the tank to bring it up to that level.
So if there was too much and it got pushed out during depressurisation, then I would not expect to have to add more.
I think the problem was that because I did not release the cap, the pressure built up inside the tank, pushing the LDS out onto the floor.
Does that make sense?
Kees
Donor 2024

Post by Kees »

@ Steve:
I'm sorry, but that don't explain the spill.
Did you look where the LDS was leaking, and also you have to inspect the motor if the LDS flow over the motor, because if this was happening, you can get problems in the future with the pomp.
Greetings,
Kees.
steveclv

Post by steveclv »

As far as I can see it is coming from behind the pump - whether that is a pipe, a joint or something more serious I don't know - what I do know is that what was a small leak is now a bit more serious. Unfortunately I need the car until Monday for hospital appointments so I may have to just top it up daily until I get the chance to either look at it myself or get a mechanic to investigate. Obviously the leak was there but I think I made it worse by not removing the cap. I did not need this!!
steveclv

Post by steveclv »

The more I read, the more I think that it is likely to be the LDS tank or its pipe fitting that is leaking rather than the pump. The pumps seem to fail rather than leak.
One question is that the pipes all seem to be connected to weird metal clips - can I replace these with jubilee clips - I'm assuming that these are all low pressure fittings?
I'll try and make it through to Monday and then get the tank out for further investigation.