C4 Noisy Tappets

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mad Jack

C4 Noisy Tappets

Post by Mad Jack »

Hello,

I have a 2015 1.6 C4 Diesel, it’s only done 25k but the tappets are really noisy, they’re very noisy on start-up, and then they quieten down a little when the engine is warmed up, but they still make noise under acceleration.

I’ve done some research, and found two different theories, one is that the tappets on the early cars were not correctly designed and need to be changed for the new design. The second is that the wrong oil has been used and the engine needs flushing, and then Shell 0/30w oil needs to be used which will cure the problem.

I’ve been super impressed with the knowledge on this forum so thought I’d ask to see what the experts think.

Thanks so much in advance.
PaulC5
Donor 2024

Re: C4 Noisy Tappets

Post by PaulC5 »

Even though it is only on 25k miles it should still have an oil change every 12 months using the oil recommended by Citroen. Do you know when the oil was last changed and what oil was used - if done at a garage/dealer they usually put on the receipt which oil has been used so something to check. The correct oil will be on the service schedule sheet which came with the car but you can also have a look here viewtopic.php?t=75918 The engine identification letters are in the car VIN.
Mad Jack

Re: C4 Noisy Tappets

Post by Mad Jack »

I have no idea when it last had an oil change, or what type of oil was used… I was going to do an oil change just to see if that fixed it, but I figured if there is an issue with the early tappets I’d change them at the same time. Thanks so much for the link, I’ll check that out.

So if additives are not recommended for the engine, I’m presuming that using an oil flush on the engine is not a good idea?

Thanks so much.