Air conditioning problem Peugeot 3009 (2019)

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

LuisFMtz

Air conditioning problem Peugeot 3009 (2019)

Post by LuisFMtz »

When the outside temperature is very high or after the car has warmed up, the display shows "engine failure" and the air conditioner stops working, only the fan is heard but it does not cool down, and once the car cools down to room temperature, the air conditioner turns on again. Peugeot 3008 (2019) Allure Pack
PaulC5
Donor 2024

Re: Air conditioning problem Peugeot 3009 (2019)

Post by PaulC5 »

Apart from the engine failure message, the air con being automatically switched off if the outside temperature is very high or if the engine temperature is very high is normal. This is to reduce the load on the engine to help it cool.
LuisFMtz

Post by LuisFMtz »

the question is that this is already constant, as soon as the outside temperature heats the car, the air conditioning is deactivated, and sends the error "engine failure". and does not stop cooling the air conditioning.
LuisFMtz

Re: Air conditioning problem Peugeot 3008 (2019)

Post by LuisFMtz »

Someone could support me in recognizing the fault, as this makes it impossible to use the car's air conditioning, as I am told that this fault has nothing to do with any air conditioning sensor.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That's incorrect! The A/C will deactivate in certain conditions, like low refrigerant gas, or as stated when the engine temperature is too hot. I suspect you have a problem with your cooling system, that is causing the A/C to switch off. I'd suggest you have the system checked over properly first.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
LuisFMtz

Post by LuisFMtz »

I have gone to check the air conditioner and the technician tells me that the pressure, quality and quantity of gas and air conditioning system that correct. The situation is when the air conditioner has started to fail, the display function is correct and show me how the air conditioner is working properly, but I hear that the compressor does not work and mark on the screen the failure engine.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

The engine ECU has probably detected a minor fault and disabled the A/C compressor. You need to get the fault codes from the BSI and engine ECU.
ozvtr

Post by ozvtr »

LuisFMtz wrote: 27 Jun 2024, 15:05 I have gone to check the air conditioner and the technician tells me that the pressure, quality and quantity of gas and air conditioning system that correct. The situation is when the air conditioner has started to fail, the display function is correct and show me how the air conditioner is working properly, but I hear that the compressor does not work and mark on the screen the failure engine.
You can not check the "quantity" of refrigerant without extracting the refrigerant and weighing it. I doubt the technician did that. Not saying that he didn't...just saying it's unlikely. I'll get to why in a minute.
Is this car second hand? Has the air conditioning system been "topped up" at all?
I'm not that familiar with more modern Peugeots but earlier ones did not throw up an engine fault if there was an air conditioning fault. Yes, some engine faults will cause the air conditioning to cut out but not all of them.
However, If the engine runs fine and there are no signs that there is actually an engine fault, then my guess is an over charged A/C system.
There is a pressure sensor in the high pressure side of the A/C system. This sensor is monitored by the engine ECU. If the pressure gets too high or too low the engine ECU WILL NOT run the A/C compressor. The difference between "normal" and "over pressure" is not that much. So if the system is over charged, on a hot day, the high side pressure will go into over pressure and the engine ECU will not allow the compressor to run. The system does not have to be overcharged by much for this to happen!
The other option is a restriction in the high side like the condenser or the Tx valve?
Again you need to ascertain why the engine failure sign comes on, so I would recommend that you poll the engine ECU with a scanner.
ozvtr

Post by ozvtr »

PaulC5 wrote: 26 Jun 2024, 21:44 the air con being automatically switched off if the outside temperature is very high
Actually, if the car has climate control, the A/C will automatically turn ON, in very high ambient or cabin temperatures, to protect the occupants. Plain vanilla A/C systems typically have no external temperature sensor and so make no compensation for it.
If the outside temperature were to get high enough to cause the high side of the A/C system to go into over pressure, get out of the car and get out of the sun, you are going to die!!