MOT failure - Injector cleaner and other advice please.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

moizeau
Donor 2024

MOT failure - Injector cleaner and other advice please.

Post by moizeau »

My 407 has failed it's MOT.

RH RR wheel can't be rotated by hand!!!
I'm pretty sure I know why. I never use the handbrake with it being an auto. The tester needs to. Pretty sure that caused it. Stopping off at the shops on the way home I could smell the heat. Never have done before. By the time I got home all was good. Need to check the handbrake mech still though.

Headlights are crap. I've got some headlight restorer but the tester mentioned it may be worth changing the bulbs also. What are the choices?

Failed the emissions. The limit is 0.51 and it registered 0.95 and 1.07.
I normally use supermarket diesel (I know). Going to put some Total top end stuff in with some injector cleaner.......but which one is best?
Air filter is fine. It only just got through last time. I do drive it gently, maybe it needs a ragging as well.
Cheers
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Re: MOT failure - Injector cleaner and other advice please.

Post by RichardW »

Plenty of uprated bulbs available, more light = shorter life however! But if the lenses are very cloudy then address that first.

With a DPF the emissions should be near zero, if you have soot at the tailpipe (which I imagine you will have with the emissions report) then the DPF is most likely cracked (or someone has been there before with the drill....)
Richard W
moizeau
Donor 2024

Post by moizeau »

Thanks Richard, I was fearing that response. Is there anyway to know? Maybe look at the pressures in Diag, what should they be?
Cheers
Pete
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

The easiest check is a finger in the tail pipe - sooty = failed DPF, it should be pretty much spotless. Pressure should be 6-10 mbar at idle, and rise to about 40mbar at 3000 rpm unloaded. Yours is not that far off, if you give it a good thrashing then you might scrape through.
Richard W
moizeau
Donor 2024

Post by moizeau »

Just done the finger check, yep, a very thin black coat of soot. So thin it's smooth and feels like the metal. Going to give it a bit of right foot then clean the inside of the pipe and see how quickly it comes back. Just about to confirm it's knackered with Diag as well.
Fortunately, if required, they have come down in price a lot. Autodoc has one for just over 200€ that has good reviews.
Thanks Richard
Pete
moizeau
Donor 2024

Post by moizeau »

Regarding the pressures. I've got 0 at idle and 43 at 3000. It regenned 154 miles ago and av over last 5 is 432.
Pete
moizeau
Donor 2024

Post by moizeau »

Just passed with an average of 0.34 down from 1.0. I used Bardahl injector Cleaner as a shock treatment in 20 litres of Excellum diesel and have taken the revs up to 3500 from time to time and 4k under acceleration. The product I used for the headlights was Turtle Wax Headlight Restorer on a polishing mob drill attachment. Also stuck some Philips +130 bulbs in.
Happy days, thanks for the advice.
Pete