Citroen DS5 2012 RT6 maps disappeared after the update

This unit is the eMyWay system, also referred to as RT6, RNEG2, or WIPNAV+ for the Peugeot platform and made by Magneti Marelli.
Main Features: The eMyWay colour satellite navigation has high resolution mapping, Bluetooth Telephone & Audio Streaming supported profiles, USB support for Media files & CD

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

vgmda

Citroen DS5 2012 RT6 maps disappeared after the update

Post by vgmda »

Hi all,

I hope I can get a second opinion I am having a few issues with my navigation system. I recently purchased a Citroen DS5 2012 and noticed that the maps as well as the firmware were never updated. The firmware version is RNEG2.1.G.5 and all the Europe maps are from 2010/2011. I purchased the updated version of the maps (2023) from a third party and was provided with all the instructions on how to update the maps from start to finish. The very first time I attempted to update the UK/Ireland maps the whole process took around 2 hours and unfortunately, I became impatient and clicked on the 'Return' button and for a split second I saw the "The maps were updated successfully" on the screen. However, when attempting to view the maps, the whole of UK/Ireland part of the map was not loading and it completely disappeared from the list of map databases, I will attach a few photos for reference. From there, I attempted to upgrade the UK/Ireland maps a couple of times and waited for the update to finish which took roughly around 3 hours but no success and no error/success message prompts appeared. Did anyone experience this by any chance?

I wanted to know what steps I can try to test further, for example, updating the firmware in case the old one is not compatible with the new maps.

Spoiler: show
image3.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image0.jpeg

Thanks so much in advance and would love a second opinion on this! I can provide the VIN if required.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Citroen DS5 2012 RT6 maps disappeared after the update

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi and welcome.

Ok, so the first thing is that you have a really early version of firmware and this may be an issue with installing later maps - however:

The existing firmware version you have very likely cannot be updated without problems just by upgrading to the latest and last v2.86. It will likely loose your configuration settings, that will affect your language, parking assistance and so forth. In these cases, it is suggested that you get Citroen or DS to do the firmware update for you, because there will be both a bluetooth calibration and possible a reconfiguration required from their servers online to restore the configuration after the update (the RT6 ECU will go into secure mode and can't be configured with Diagbox either without online access to PSA servers).

Then I would try the maps again.

One thing you should do though is take a backup of your user data files from the unit and store these in a safe place. To do this, just follow the section in PART A of the Mirascripts section to back the data up to a USB file, detailed here:

How to Replace the Internal MicroSD Card - RT6

Keep the files stored on your PC safe in case, so in future you can use these to restore your user data back to the unit if necessary using Part B of the guide above.

Ignore the rest of the guide - as that's for replacing the MicroSD card.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
vgmda

Post by vgmda »

Thank you for the helpful reply and welcome!

I thought the firmware would be an issue however as you mentioned it is better done by an official dealer as it is too risky to update it myself. I will try and reach out to someone around the Dublin area to do the job. Thanks again and I will keep this post updated on how the process is going.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No problem. V2.86 is a major firmware version, so can be temperamental when upgrading some specific versions from user experience, requiring dealer intervention, so though it best to pre-warn you.

Marc
vgmda

Post by vgmda »

Quick update on this thread in case someone comes across this issue.

I managed to get the maps updated, and it did not require a firmware update.

I loaded the maps once again and instead of updating the UK/Ireland map, I picked a random one this time NORTH_EAST_NOTHERN_EUROPE and proceeded to install it, however this time I got a message saying that the map was too big in size and it was required to clean up few older maps by deleting them, which I did. It then installed successfully without issues after about 45 minutes. Once this succeded I managed to install the rest of Europe including the UK/Ireland. I made sure the car was running at all times, ECO was turned OFF and NO Bluetooth devices were connected and it worked like magic.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You don't need to update the firmware to update the maps. However later firmware allowed some fixes like allowing postcode searching on the city field for example like on the RT6 where this didn't previously work.

Glad you have it sorted

Marc