2015 Auto Gearbox Fluid Change

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dsgoody

2015 Auto Gearbox Fluid Change

Post by dsgoody »

Hi,

I've recently picked up a 2015 Peugeot 308 SW GT, with the 2.0 diesel engine and auto gearbox. I've just completed a head gasket on it which is a job I hope I never have to do again, but it seems to be ok, so my attention has turned to the gearbox. The car has covered 102k miles, and as far as I'm aware has never had the gearbox fluid changed. I've had a good read through the guide here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=58134&start=45#p543115 along with the docs I pulled from ServiceBox and I have a few questions.

I've ordered 5L of https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371790886363 which is enough to do a single change. Is the recommendation to always do the drain, fill, drain, fill, drain, fill method or is a single change good enough? I've read mixed stories about changing fluid on higher mileage boxes, so I'd feel a bit nervous trying to get as much of the old fluid out as possible. Is a single change on a box that's covered 102k enough to reset the oil wear counter in DiagBox, or is it better to leave it alone?

Cheers,

Dave
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: 2015 Auto Gearbox Fluid Change

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Basically the issues that can happen on a higher mileage box without having had a previous change is that it can disturb all the debris that accumulates.

There's little point I suspect in doing 3 changes on the same day, but some do, with others changing the oil once a month over a 3 month period say, so give the oil a chance to circulate before the next change.

But this is an excellent video on doing the change on the same day with very clear instructions. It's a Volvo, but the same transmission in PSA vehicles, for which you will need Diagbox to reset the oil counter instead of the Volve DICE tool:

Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
dsgoody

Post by dsgoody »

Thanks for this. I think I've already decided to only do one change, at least for the next 5k miles or so, since I don't want to risk the issue you described by attempting to replace as much fluid as possible.

Is this a sufficient enough change to reset the counter in Diagbox, or better off leaving it alone?

At some point I have to attempt the same process on my wife's 208, but since that's only covered 60k miles I feel a bit more comfortable with it.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No, you must reset the oil counter after an oil change, because the gearbox ECU adapts it's operation to having new oil. Repeat the next time you change it. One change alone won't be insufficient to clean it up - but to be honest, unless you are having slipping or other issues, I would get it done all at once and get all the old stuff out. I think only really high mileage vehicles with gearbox issues may have problems and by then, it really isn't going to make much difference.

Marc
dsgoody

Post by dsgoody »

Thanks, gives me something to think about and I'll reset the oil counter after every change. I'll probably get the next 5L of fluid in ready and take onboard your advice of leaving it a month between changes.

There's nothing wrong the with gearbox currently. No slipping and the changes are nice and smooth; I'm only doing this as preventative maintenance.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, good idea, I guess you'll see by the oil colour how bad it needs changing - use the video as a guide to how the colour changes.

Marc