xm v6 idle valve

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Paulxmski
My Cars:

xm v6 idle valve

Post by Paulxmski »

Hi all,
Can anyone say if it is "safe" to remove the inlet /outlet pipes to the idle valve for maintenance. It has been suggested that I should flush it through with solvents as it gets a buildup of oily crud in there according to my "expert friend" Are there likely to be any problems from doing this? Isn't the fuel system pressurised even when stopped.
Any thoughts would be most welcome?
XM-V6
My Cars:

Post by XM-V6 »

I did it on my v6-24v ES9j4 engine (latest model) i just removed it ( 1 inbus bolt,1 electrical connector and 2 rubber tube/clamps, the moving part inside the two tubes was going very heavy, dirt like thik black grease, I sprayed it with WD40 and cleaned it out with cotton eartips, now the car reacts better to throttle in the low/mid RPM range and idle is more stable. Never disconnect plugs when the ignition is switched on, it may kill your ECU!
Paulxmski
My Cars:

Post by Paulxmski »

Thanks XM-V6! Yes that's what my expert friend suggested he said it's amazing the crud that builds up in there. Although the I wonder if the problem is that one as the engine had a head job only 5k miles ago, (before I bought it) but if it's ok to do it then there's no harm in having ago at it. Thanks for the tip about not removing the spark plug leads while the engines running I will take heed. Actually bought the car last Nov and had this chugging problem on cold start. I have to leave it running until it gets warm then switch off and start again then it's ok for rest of journey/day. I have now replaced the manifold sensor, water sensor and other sensor on the block near the water sensor replaced the plugs (with improvement) checked the distributor cap and ignition module but cannot track down the problem as yet. I am contemplating swapping the ecu from my other knacked/sorned V6 but just want to do this first? If you have any thoughts about this problem I would be delighted :-)
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by XM-V6</i>

Never disconnect plugs when the ignition is switched on, it may kill your ECU!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Ooooo...a way to kill a Rover 214...(See General Chat post...)