Any mechanics on the forum?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

steveclv

Any mechanics on the forum?

Post by steveclv »

So today my parts arrived for the engine mount change - the old ones were split in several places.
I found a Youtube video showing what was quite a simple process however it didn't turn out quite that way.
I put the jack under the engine to support it but as soon as the bolts came out, the whole engine rotated backwards into the bulkhead. Wherever I placed the jack didn't want to lift the back of the engine so I was slightly panicking as that 2 litre diesel is one heavy lump.
Eventually I worked out that I could throw a ratchet strap over a beam in the garage that I had parked in front off, clip it to the left hand engine lift point and that would pull the top of the engine forward. So far so good as I was able to replace the bottom mount and bolt the bracket back on to the engine.
However, and this is what I need some advice on, when I released the ratchet strap tension, the engine still wanted to rotate backwards and put a lot of strain on the lower mount - you could see it being twisted.
Anyway, I proceeded to put the steady bar mount back in, bolting it in at the rear and then realised (of course) that will the engine trying to rotate backwards, the front bolt hole was about 15mm away from lining it. Back with the ratchet strap to really pull hard on the top engine lift point and pushing the end of the steady bar against it's rubber inner, I was able to get the final bolt in.
The engine feels rock solid inside the car and a short test drive indicated nothing amiss but I can't help feeling that everything is under severe tension keeping the engine from falling back into the bulkhead.
Anyone got any ideas please?
Steve Walsh
Donor 2024

Re: Any mechanics on the forum?

Post by Steve Walsh »

If all the mounts are in good condition and installed correctly it should be fine, the engine is back heavy and will tilt that way when mounts are released
Thanx to Marc and all the admins & knowledgeable people that make this the best forum on the interweb. =D> =D> =D>
steveclv

Post by steveclv »

Wow thanks - that puts my mind at ease!!
Thanks for the quick response :) :)
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

The mounts (especially the bottom) should be tightened only after all the mounts are sitting in their correct position to avoid a static twisting stress that would shorten the life of the mounts.
steveclv

Post by steveclv »

Thanks - I've just discovered that there is a rear engine mount at the back - shouldn't this stop the engine from falling back into the bulkhead? Maybe I have done some damage to it so does anyone have a part number for it? 2009 C5 X7 break 138 HDI auto

I appreciate all the advice!
Steve Walsh
Donor 2024

Post by Steve Walsh »

steveclv wrote: 08 Jun 2024, 20:57 Thanks - I've just discovered that there is a rear engine mount at the back - shouldn't this stop the engine from falling back into the bulkhead? Maybe I have done some damage to it so does anyone have a part number for it? 2009 C5 X7 break 138 HDI auto

I appreciate all the advice!
If you need part numbers I would start a new thread then a admin will see it.

Steve
Thanx to Marc and all the admins & knowledgeable people that make this the best forum on the interweb. =D> =D> =D>