Citroen C4 Cactus Mk2 - Thermostat Replacement (Warning)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.
c4cactus_jds

Citroen C4 Cactus Mk2 - Thermostat Replacement (Warning)

Unread post by c4cactus_jds »

Sharing some experience of changing the engine thermostat on 2018 Citroen C4 Cactus Mk2 - heads up for anyone looking to replace

Symptoms - Random warning service light on dash, sometimes every 5 mins.
Engine code - P0599(12) controlled thermostat control
Citroen guidance - went for new thermostat as a first step
Screenshot 2024-06-03 104451.png
Part code: 98 121 314 80 - ENGINE WATER OUTLET BOX
Purchased: METZGER 4006417 Engine thermostat - https://www.autodoc.co.uk/metzger/17013 ... thermostat - £83 with delivery

On arrival - all looks okay, I did notice that the thermostat could be removed although its sold as 1 entire unit.
IMG_7745.jpg
Screenshot 2024-06-03 105309.png
Now the issue...

Following the workshop manual you can replace it, some of the mounting screws can be a pain to reach but overall it's not too bad.
Drain coolant, remove battery and mount, remove the coolant hoses and electrical connectors (yellow one snapped on me when removed)

After fitting the new part, I noticed the coolant tube that was fixed to the rear was loose compared to the original - see below (grey to the right of bolt 1):
Screenshot 2024-06-03 105615.png
The bolt holds a piece of retaining metal which stops it falling out, but I wasn't confident it would seal. Decided to fit and fill with some water, as you can guess it didn't and was leaking in this area.

The problem I had is that I damaged the yellow electrical connector when removing - typical moment when working on the car :)

Solution - I carefully removed the thermostat and the temp probe from the new housing and replaced it with the old housing. The green probe is easy with a retaining clip, but with the thermostat I used a small flat head screwdriver to gradually get it out. Its tight, and easy to deform the plastic, but with the screwdriver and some water pump pliers you can get it out.
I would advise not to put any pressure on the plastic which houses the yellow connector as it could break.
Also use the new sealing gasket.

Here are the parts removed:
IMG_7780.JPG
IMG_7781.JPG
After fitting with the old housing, it now seals, and after a coolant flush and change - the code has now disappeared and no service light.

I'm not sure if the other thermostats offered would be the correct dimensions, but I would personally advise against purchasing METZGER 4006417 for part number 98 121 314 80 even though its listed as compatible.
Cactusnewbie
New User

Re: Citroen C4 Cactus Mk2 - Thermostat Replacement (Warning)

Unread post by Cactusnewbie »

Hi

Can I please ask where you got the workshop manual from? I’ve been trying to find one for the 1.6hdi cactus but absolutely no luck anywhere.

Thanks