Changing AC magnetic clutch without removing compressor

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Saldan

Changing AC magnetic clutch without removing compressor

Post by Saldan »

Hi guys!
I am new in this forum and I hope you can help me with some solutions to my problems.
I have an Citroen C5 X7 2009, 2.2 Hdi BiTurbo 173CP and for some time my AC wont work. Firstly I thought that my installation run dry with freon so I charge it in some shop. There , after I started the car my clutch wont engage so I thought that my fans are busted ( on Lexia they run without problems on High Speed Test). I checked the pressure in instalation with Diagbox and it said it have like 9 bar or smt. I checked the wires to see if they are discontinued and check for voltage, clutch receive la 3,7 V so there is power so it`s seems that the problem is "fried" magnetic clutch.
The compressor is a Sanden Model R134a / 1333F and I order a new magnetic coil from shop. The REAL question is can I change it without removing my compressor from the car? And if I can`t will I lose all my Freon from installation? What should I be carefull when I change it?
I am no stranger with repairing my own car, i replaced a lot of parts and make many changes on this car.
Any information is very welcome.
Thank you very much!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Re: Changing AC magnetic clutch without removing compressor

Post by RichardW »

3.7v sounds low. What's the resistance of the coil? What happens if you apply 12v to the coil, will it engage?
Richard W
leithant
Donor 2023

Post by leithant »

I changed mine on the previous model few years ago. No need to remove anything else. Saved a fortune.
06 Citroen C5 Estate 2.2 Hdi Auto
95 Peugeot 306 S16
95 Silver Xantia VSX - now deceased :-(
Saldan

Post by Saldan »

Richard
I dont know, i didnt apply it yet...I tried to do that with a 12v battery charger but the space is to narrow to work and I was afraid that I may blow some fuses up (I ll try tomorrow).
ozvtr

Post by ozvtr »

Does LEXIA say clutch engagement is allowed or disallowed? Can you engage the clutch in LEXIA?
Have you tried tapping the face of the compressor clutch with the A/C on and the engine running? Be careful, the clutch might engage and start spinning!!
3.7v means a very large voltage drop across the system. Could be burnt out relay contacts? This is suspicious.

If you have to replace the clutch;
Remove the drive belt. Remove the clutch face retaining nut (or bolt) in the center of the outer clutch face. Remove the outer clutch face, it should run on a spline on the input shaft AND there might be shims on the shaft!! Remove the snap ring retaining the bearing and pulley. Remove the bearing and pulley. Remove the snap ring retaining the electromagnet housing. Remove the electromagnet.
There will be a pin on the compressor that engages in a hole in the electromagnet housing.
Saldan

Post by Saldan »

Thanks for reply Ozvtr!
Well, I can't figure it out how to engage the clutch from Lexia, I was messing around from half hour through menus (there are 3 menus, Repair Maintenance and something with measurement which need Internet connection...If there is a drop in voltage it s means that somewhere the wire is pinched, right? But if it s pinched doesn t mean that some fuses would blow? Where is the relay for the AC clutch? I checked the fuses under the hood and they look ok.
Off Topic:
I tried to delete the service error from Lexia (Additive low level ....) after I completed it with Lexia 176 but error light stay on... It says that my RPO number doesnt fit an additive system or some such and that changes must be made from MAINTENANCE menu, but I dont know where it is.
I took some pictures but I dont know how to upload them.
Lexia / Diagbox version is 9.68
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Saldan wrote: 03 Jun 2024, 14:33 Off Topic:
I tried to delete the service error from Lexia (Additive low level ....) after I completed it with Lexia 176 but error light stay on... It says that my RPO number doesnt fit an additive system or some such and that changes must be made from MAINTENANCE menu, but I dont know where it is.
I took some pictures but I dont know how to upload them.
Lexia / Diagbox version is 9.68
Best to start another topic - but you can't remove the error - it is telling you the additive is too low, so you probably need to top it up and then reset the additive counter. I strongly suggest you do not attempt to reset it without adding the fluid or you will damage the additive pump when it runs dry and that will be more expense - as the additive level is not physically measured, it is estimated only.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Saldan

Post by Saldan »

Well, good news..yesterday after rotating the frontal plate of the clutch (kind of hard first time) AC engaged and worked.
This morning stopped working...won't engage anymore. Does someone knows why? Thanks!
ozvtr

Post by ozvtr »

Saldan wrote: 04 Jun 2024, 07:33 Well, good news..yesterday after rotating the frontal plate of the clutch (kind of hard first time) AC engaged and worked.
This morning stopped working...won't engage anymore. Does someone knows why? Thanks!
I assume the two clutch faces are worn and the electromagnet can not pull them together. Disturbing them is enough for the electromagnet to work.
As I mentioned, the input shaft or outer clutch plate might have shims on them for clutch adjustment.
The faces of the clutch are adjusted (with the shims), so that when disengaged, the two faces are a particular distance apart. The electromagnet part of the clutch is relatively weak, so if the faces of the clutch ware greater than a particular distance, the electromagnet can not pull the two faces together.
You will need to pull the outer clutch plate off the input shaft and find the shims. If there are multiple thin shims, remove one. You will need to reduce the thickness of the shims by just a small amount.
Saldan

Post by Saldan »

OH, that make so much sense now...I ll try to remove the plate to see if I can adjust the distance. THANK YOU ALL for advices...I'll post the results after.
Good day!
Saldan

Post by Saldan »

Ok, so, after few weeks, I tried to change the clutch of the compressor ( new clutch arrived) and before I started, I was curious to see the resistance of both clutches, with a multimeter I tested both of them, same result so it wasn't a bad clutch. I noticed also that if i let my car running for 10 min or so or I revv it above 3k RPM, the clutch work ( I have no clue why) but if I stopped the car, the AC wont turn again until I completed the "requirements" above.
Do you guys have ever meet with such dilemma?
Another thing I noticed from a while is that I think the outside mirror temp. sensor is busted ( on 35°C outside in cluster it show the message with "Ice Roads") maybe is this sensor the culprit that mess with my AC?
Can someone tell me where exactly is the Relay for AC compressor?
Thanks a lot!
Steve Walsh
Donor 2024

Post by Steve Walsh »

As far as I know, the AC wont kick in if outside temp is low, or thinks it low, with a bad read from temp sensor
Thanx to Marc and all the admins & knowledgeable people that make this the best forum on the interweb. =D> =D> =D>
Saldan

Post by Saldan »

I fixed the problem..The solution was a new sensor mounted in the mirror.Now AC start instantly without delay.Thanks everyone that helped with an advice.
Kees
Donor 2024

Post by Kees »

I had it opposite way, outside temp on the dash was in the winter +35 degree and the a.c. blow's cold air.
I went to the dealer, and he said, yes i have it in stock.
68 Euro.......
I ordered it by Ali Express, and get 2 of them for the price of 9 Euro.....