DS5 Diesel Hybrid 2013, aux belt, air conditioning, temperature sensor

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PeterAdre

DS5 Diesel Hybrid 2013, aux belt, air conditioning, temperature sensor

Post by PeterAdre »

I’m experiencing some very strange symptoms with my DS5 Diesel Hybrid 2013. It all began in February when we were having some very low temperatures here, around -20 C. After a cold night there were engine errors and the car refused to start. Kind of gave up and after some days it get warmer and the car eventually started okay, no problems what’s so ever for several weeks. Until one day I noticed the outdoor temperature on media display was showing 20 – 30 C degrees higher than the real temperature was.

That didn’t really bother me that much as it was just a temperature but eventually noticed that this was causing problems also with air conditioning, ie not warm enough to keep windows clear in cold weather. Anyhow soon after this the auxiliary belt gets broken. It was replaced by a professional car mechanic and everything seemed first to be. At some point the outdoor temperature problem replicated and not long after that the aux belt gets broken again! The car repair shop investigated and found no other reason that maybe the belt was just faulty or maybe there was some flaw with the installation. The belt was replaced again. This time the temperature error was however not fixed. And only a week after this last belt replacement I’m getting exactly same engine failure as with these two previous incidents. This time the aux belt seems to be okay as far as I can see so this error must be something else.

Any ideas what might be wrong? Are the temperature problem, air conditioning and aux belt somehow related? Could it be that a faulty temperature sensor is overstressing air conditioning which furthermore is overstressing aux belt?

Any ideas, advises highly appreciated!
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Re: DS5 Diesel Hybrid 2013, aux belt, air conditioning, temperature sensor

Post by xantia_v6 »

The external temperature sensor is connected to the A/C control system so can cause at least some of your symptoms. I am not 100% sure where the sensor is mounted on your car, but it is usually mounted on the bottom of one of the door mirrors and appears as a black button about 5mm diameter. The sensors are known to be unreliable, fortunately they are cheap, but it may be necessary to dismantle or remove the mirror to replace the sensor, which usually requires soldering to the existing wires.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Edit: Post crossed over with the above ^, but essentially the same.

The outside temperature sensor in the wing mirror is an essential part of the A/C system. If the sensor has failed you really need to replace this ASAP as the A/C system uses the outside temperature for correct operation of the A/C system. If the A/C system thinks it is hotter than it is, then it will affect the climate control and the operation of the compressor will be operating more than needed and putting extra unnecessary strain on the system - which may be why your belt is continuing to fail.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
PeterAdre

Post by PeterAdre »

Thanks for the advice! This car and aux belt issue is giving me some real headache. As recommended by you guys, the external temp sensor was replaced and is now working perfectly. However, soon after that replacement, the belt get broken again only after some 2000 kms. This was the third time this year so there must be something with the components the belt is connected to. Those have been checked and according to repair shop there should be nothing wrong. This third time an original PSA aux belt was used instead of an aftermarket part.

I was kind of relieved after that third time, but the car has now began to make randomly some really strange noise. It sounds like it’s coming from the right/front, i.e. the location of the aux belt and the sound itself is like you’re using wipers on dry windscreen. It doesn’t last longer than maybe a second or two. I’ve been trying to find some pattern here but only I can find is low speed (around 40 – 50 km/h), cold engine and possibly air conditioning starting.

All this makes me wonder if the aux belt is somehow slightly loose or there’s something wrong with air conditioning unit itself. On the other hand, I’m not convinced that something happening in the engine room can be heard so clearly in the cabin.

Any thoughts?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi. Be aware that some mechanics can be a bit rough when they take the belt off using a sharp instrument and this can damage the pulley / belt or put a nick in it that can damage new belts.

The accessory rollers should be replaced at some point too as they can become loose.

Marc
PeterAdre

Post by PeterAdre »

Just a little update: problem seems to be the start engine or at least related to that. This sound mentioned above can be heard whenever the diesel engine is starting after electric mode. A car repair shop suggested that start motor should be replaced, estimated cost around 3.000€! Is there a part number for this I might search for a little more affordable replacement part? Or does this diagnose sound likely at all?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Like I mentioned the pulleys and tensioners are probably over due for replacement. If this is the case replacing a perfectly good starter motor won't solve the issue....

Marc