identify leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

myfirstpicasso

identify leak

Post by myfirstpicasso »

the car : Citroen Grand C4 Picasso 2.0 HDi 165 FAP Exclusive RHH 2011

I recently did an oil change on my car and have noticed the right side driveshaft is wet. But is not we where it connects to the gearbox . It is wet approximately 3 cm distance from the gearbox. So I assume something is dripping on the driveshaft.

The turbo seems to be above that area.
Oil and coolant (from turbo) are my primary suspects so far.

Could it be condensed exhaust gasses or some type of condense forming on the turbo ?
Could it be fuel from leaking fuel injectors ?

How should I proceed to find this leak ?
Is adding fluorescent UV dye to the coolant a good idea to at least eliminate a prime suspect ?
PaulC5
Donor 2024

Re: identify leak

Post by PaulC5 »

Wipe a finger in the liquid and you can then tell if it is coolant, engine oil or diesel since they are all different. Engine oil would usually be black, diesel yellow and coolant more like water but depending on what was put in at the timing belt change can be blue but you can see what colour it is in the expansion tank. They all smell different as well. Other liquids are brake fluid and gear box oil. Once you know what it is then look above to see where it is coming from.
myfirstpicasso

Re: identify leak

Post by myfirstpicasso »

Well, that's the issue , the leak is not large enough. You can imagine the driveshaft is relatively thin and spinning . When inspected it just looks wet and not enough liquid can be collected when swiping the finger on it.

To make things worse the underbody plastic protection is missing , so no place for that liquid to collect. I did not notice engine oil level or coolant level to be going down over time.