Clunking noise, but not over any and all bumps.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

careca

Clunking noise, but not over any and all bumps.

Post by careca »

Hi, my C5 has been developing this clunk noise that sounds a bit more like a pop or a pap, can be felt in the floor sometimes, specially at the rear.
I raised the car to check for the exhaust rubbers but that's all fine, the exhaust moves a bit and does not hit anything no matter how hard i push and pull it under there.
That leaves suspension, but other than the rubber roots for the rear being kinda hard a brittle, i did not see anything with play.
Can anyone point me in the right direction? Is there a common issue like this on these cars?y

Thanks.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)

Re: Clunking noise, but not over any and all bumps.

Post by Stickyfinger »

Does it happen over bumps in the road ?......if so the first place to look is the rear swing arm bearings.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Dogger
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

+1 for it likely to be the rear swing arm bearings. When they went on my Mk1 C5 it was more of a clank or creak when the suspension moved. The other thing I found was that the noise disappeared when the weather was wet.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
careca

Post by careca »

Thanks for the input. I can tell you that it doesn't do it over all bumps. Maybe 1 in 4 or something, and not always loud. Also it has done it on rough roads, where there was a depression for example.
Sometimes in the middle of a curve on said rough road, there's no way i can reproduce it reliably, seems very random. Also i noticed that since i raised the car up to the max, jacked it, to look under it for possible issues, it has done it less. Any way i can force it somehow to check for those swing arm bearings? Wouldn't the slack in bearings be noticeable as extra wear in tires?