1990 XM 2.0i used engine availability

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bump_draft

1990 XM 2.0i used engine availability

Post by bump_draft »

My engine failed and I need a replacement. The oil ran dry (oil level sensor was bad).

I'm in the US and have an XM 2.0i, there's only small handful (like, literally two or three) of us so the parts are very hard to come by.

Where could I get a replacement unit that would ship to the US?
Are other engines compatible? Could I, for example, put a later model 2.0 16v in it's place, or would significant fabrication be involved?

Any info would be appreciated.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Re: 1990 XM 2.0i used engine availability

Post by myglaren »

Just off the top of my head, I would look to Canada, where there are more of them as Canada didn't implement some of the restrictive regulations that the US did.
Can't be more specific unfortunately.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Peugeots of the same era used the same engines so that may offer further scope.

All the XU series engines use the same mountings so no/little fabrication will be needed although there may need to be some electrical modifications needed.

For instance, if you transplanted a later 16v engine you'd need to use the engine ECU and harness that goes with it. The one paired with your current engine would not work.

Is your current engine too badly damaged to be repaired?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bump_draft

Post by bump_draft »

CitroJim wrote: 30 May 2024, 05:57
For instance, if you transplanted a later 16v engine you'd need to use the engine ECU and harness that goes with it. The one paired with your current engine would not work.

Is your current engine too badly damaged to be repaired?
Possibly, the shop is still doing a "post mortem". It was running when I drove it there, but the bad oil sensor meant the engine was nearly dry. Lots of bearing material in the oil that remained. I'm hoping I can just do bearings. If there's further damage I assume I will need a used motor. Very frustrating as this thing only had 115k KMs on it.

I dilligently checked the oil every morning, but the stupid sensor was giving false readings. Also some idiot apparently changed the dipstick out for another unit at some point in the car's life. Ugh!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Indeed, fingers crossed the damage is not too severe. They are very tough engines.

It'll certainly be easier if the existing one can be repaired/rebuilt. Al the parts you are likely to need will be available, albeit in Europe...

Keep us posted on progress.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bump_draft

Post by bump_draft »

I just realized they sell Peugeot in Mexico, which is driving distance for me. Which Peugeots used this 2.0i 8v unit? Is there a list? Maybe I can get one of those in Tijuana
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

First you need to identify which variant of the engine you actually have. My data indicates that the 1989 XM was fitted with an XU10 J2 (R6A) engine (the XU9 was 1.9 litre).

The Wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSA_XU_engine#XU10 indicates that the XU10 J2 was not widely fitted, but the vehicle list there is obviously incomplete. I would think that any of the non-turbo versions of the XU10 would fit fairly easily. An XU9 from a Peugeot 205 GTI may be more readily available.

There is a "tested" used motor in Germany: https://fair-motors.fr/shop/moteur-rfx- ... jbEALw_wcB
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

The logistics are probably très difficile, but this might be what you are looking for.... https://www.leboncoin.fr/ad/equipement_auto/2637104405
bump_draft

Post by bump_draft »

Hm, mine is FI, I wonder if the FI is a straight bolt on.

I'm thinking about just bringing it home, shoving some bearings in it, and running it till it dies. I'm so annoyed
bump_draft

Post by bump_draft »

Turns out the engine isn't knocking, the transmission was. I'm going to get a blackstone report on the oil and see what the condition is
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Here's hoping the gearbox is not going to be too bad... Fingers crossed...
Jim