Peugeot Boxer - 2022 - 2.2 - Engine Rattle when cold at idle

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bobson6

Peugeot Boxer - 2022 - 2.2 - Engine Rattle when cold at idle

Post by bobson6 »

Hi, Facing a problem with my Peugeot boxer currently where when it is cold there is a rattle, it comes from the top of the engine but seems to come from the whole top of the block. Once the engine is warm there is no rattle/very little rattle. First thoughts were timing chain, but if you read on you will see why with think this is not the case.

My local garage are currently working on it, and they have currently done the following:

Oil and filter change - Genuine parts - The oil that came out was very thick and the last change was 30k before, certainly the worst oil i have seen come out of an engine. (only just bought the van - no rattle when bought) still rattles
Checked oil pressure, in doing so noticed that once the oil pressure switch was disconnected the rattle stops and the engine runs as it should
Replaced switch - rattle continues with new switch fitted
Disconnect the oil pressure regulator solenoid - rattle stops when disconnected, been replaced and still rattles

Now we are down to the oil pump - currently deciding whether to replace it.

Anyone had something similar, I have spoke to a mechanic from another garage who has had a similar issue with a vauxhall where the pump got replaced and the sound went and he feels this is the same.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Re: Peugeot Boxer - 2022 - 2.2 - Engine Rattle when cold at idle

Post by RichardW »

Sounds like you have answered your own question, but the only nagging doubt is that the oil pump is doing what it is supposed to, but the command is wrong. Potentially you could scope the signal, but need some reference data to know if it's right or not. Is this the Ford engine? Any hits if you search for similar on Transits?
Richard W
bobson6

Post by bobson6 »

Yeah the euro 6 version, with the short chain between the two cams and then a dry cam belt.

Will try the transit search, i know that there was an oil pump recall on transits around 2015, which would be a very similar engine to this one.

My gut tells me its the pump, just hoping some others may have had something similar.
bobson6

Post by bobson6 »

So an update.

Sump off and the pump removed. No sludge or blocked pickup which is what we were expecting. New pumpnis being fitted. Get outcome of this today. Not convinced this will solve the rattle.

Some data, when the switch was taken out and a pressure gage put in its place the pressure was at 6bar which we are guessing is a default for the pump when the switch is not working but the rattle is gone. The pressure on diagnostics with the switch connected was around 1.2bar and it was rattling.

Now after doing a bit of Internet digging I came across a post about a blocked or stuck open pcv or ccv. Would a blocked ccv cause the top end to rattle after start? (Side note - when ibdid the oil change the oil cap had evidence of gunk build up on it to match the sludge coming out the sump) They have also found some evidence of oil leak around the fuel pump which could be due to increased pressure from ccv closed if I'm correct.
PaulC5
Donor 2024

Post by PaulC5 »

Low oil pressure or low flow can give a top end rattle. I had this years ago on a Fiat when the oil pump was worn out.
bobson6

Post by bobson6 »

Update
New pump fitted. Pressure is running the same as another van in the garage and the rattle is still there. When pressure switch disconnected the pressure jumps to 6 bar and rattle goes. This is the same on good van other than the rattle.

Also when the pressure switch is re connected it takes around 10 seconds for the rattle to re appear.

Any ideas where else to look. Had a suggestion that there could be a blockage in the oil way from the filter to the top of the engine?
PaulC5
Donor 2024

Post by PaulC5 »

How many miles has it done ? Have you had it checked by a Peugeot dealer to get a professional opinion - if not it might save a lot of money and effort trying things hoping to get it fixed by trial and error ?