Help needed - C2 VTS Stabiliser/Anti Roll bar repair kit

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.
Argyll Andy

Help needed - C2 VTS Stabiliser/Anti Roll bar repair kit

Unread post by Argyll Andy »

Hello all, new member looking for some assistance if possible.

I recently bought a 2009 C2 VTS for a bit of fun. Took it for a test drive, creaking top mounts, rust around rear number plate lights, but apart from that clean, low owners and genuine 44k.

Bought it then bought new front mounts, struts etc. Getting it MOT’d after they’d fitted all the bits. Got a phone call to say the anti roll bar bushes and clamps are toast. Clamps corroded and can’t be reused . Can get the bushes individually but not the clamps. Full kits are available but only for 109 bhp VTS the bar on mine is 21mm all others seem to be 18-20mm

I have contacted companies like QH directly and they don’t have these kits, anyone any ideas where I’ll get them?

Picture below for ref. and of course one of the car.

TIA

Andy
Attachments
IMG_5856.jpeg
IMG_8475.jpeg
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Re: Help needed - C2 VTS Stabiliser/Anti Roll bar repair kit

Unread post by xantia_v6 »

Maybe the clamps from the available kits are the same as for the larger bushes?
yannbeam
(Donor 2022)

Unread post by yannbeam »

The part numbers for the clamp is the same for the VTR and VTS so should be the same. I assume the diameter of the hole in the bush is different for different models. Hope that helps.
Ian
ozvtr

Unread post by ozvtr »

The clamps for the C2's and C3's (of that era) should all be the same. They should be easy enough to find. If the sway bar diameter is different, then the hole in the bushing will be different.
So it looks like you will be buying the bushes and clamps independently.

FYI I don't know if it's a typo but the C2 VTS only had the TU5JP4S (NFS) 123HP engine. There was never a 109HP (VTS) version. The "standard" 1.6l TU5JP4 (NFU) 110Hp engine was used in a lot of Citroen models. I can only assume they meant that kit was for the "109HP" VTR and not VTS?

Just a word of warning, the aluminium inlet plenum of the TU5JP4S was an "after thought" for the TU5 engine. The extra weight of plenum puts extra stress on the retaining bolts and the plenum tends to come loose. There should be a support bracket on one end of the plenum, securing it to the cylinder head to reduce vibration. Make sure that bracket is still there. However, after all this time I guess that should have been sorted by previous owners?

Another warning: there are two types of front shock mounts for the C2's and C3's. Pre 2005 and post 2005. Make sure the correct ones are installed. At a cursory glance they look the same...they aren't! Installation of the incorrect ones will put the front suspension out of alignment!

While I'm at it, ensure the manual lock in the drivers door unlocks the drivers door. If there is an electrical failure you will need it to work!
wheeler

Unread post by wheeler »

ozvtr wrote: 23 May 2024, 02:49

FYI I don't know if it's a typo but the C2 VTS only had the TU5JP4S (NFS) 123HP engine. There was never a 109HP (VTS) version. The "standard" 1.6l TU5JP4 (NFU) 110Hp engine was used in a lot of Citroen models. I can only assume they meant that kit was for the "109HP" VTR and not VTS?
Oz, in the UK the C2 VTS was originally relased with the TU5JP4S (NFS) but later on we even (sadly) had a diesel engine available in the VTS, which i believe was a 107bhp version of the DV6 engine.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Unread post by RichardW »

The clamps are the same on all variants of the C2, it's also used on some variants of the C3, most of the variants of C3 MK 2 and Pluriel.
Richard W
Argyll Andy

Thanks everyone for all the responses. It’ll give me a starting point and I’ll update 👍
Argyll Andy

yannbeam wrote: 23 May 2024, 01:12 The part numbers for the clamp is the same for the VTR and VTS so should be the same. I assume the diameter of the hole in the bush is different for different models. Hope that helps.
Thanks for reply 👍 So kit above should be ok with correct bushes as I think it’s the VTR one?
Argyll Andy

ozvtr wrote: 23 May 2024, 02:49 The clamps for the C2's and C3's (of that era) should all be the same. They should be easy enough to find. If the sway bar diameter is different, then the hole in the bushing will be different.
So it looks like you will be buying the bushes and clamps independently.

Just a word of warning, the aluminium inlet plenum of the TU5JP4S was an "after thought" for the TU5 engine. The extra weight of plenum puts extra stress on the retaining bolts and the plenum tends to come loose. There should be a support bracket on one end of the plenum, securing it to the cylinder head to reduce vibration. Make sure that bracket is still there. However, after all this time I guess that should have been sorted by previous owners?

Another warning: there are two types of front shock mounts for the C2's and C3's. Pre 2005 and post 2005. Make sure the correct ones are installed. At a cursory glance they look the same...they aren't! Installation of the incorrect ones will put the front suspension out of alignment!

While I'm at it, ensure the manual lock in the drivers door unlocks the drivers door. If there is an electrical failure you will need it to work!
Thanks, will check these additional things, shock and mounts etc all installed and ok, suspension alignment is ok, just to be finalised when new bushes installed.