My Saxo doesn't like starting.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

michael_leeds
My Cars:

My Saxo doesn't like starting.

Post by michael_leeds »

Reecently i've noticed that my Citroen seems to have an intermitant starting problem.
It's a T(99)Saxo 1.1 with 50k on the clock
Usually I can jump in it in the morning no problem but If I leave it for 10-15 mins in a car park and return, it is very reluctant to start. (I have to hold the key for around 25-40 seconds.)
My (amateur) suspicions are that it is an alternator problem as at one point when I had just started the car and drove around the corner, the battery light came on and the engine became extremly 'stuttery'. I switched off and tried to start it again, with the above problem.
Anyone else with other ideas?
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

How olds the battery? You can get them checked for free at most Hal***s these days or any good tyer fitters. The charge light may be one of the wires has come off the back. Habe a look at the alternatior and just double check theres nothing broken off.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I'd go for the (probably original?) battery being stuffed. When you say won't start do you mean won't turn over, or turns over slowly, or turns over fine but won't fire?
I think the charging light is a red herring - if the revs drop below about 500 the alternator stops charging and the light will flicker on. If the engine was dying because of low battery volts then it might well stutter and the light flicker.
If the problem is intermittent, you may have a drain on the battery (boot light staying on is favourite), or a problem with one of the battery clamps.
Can you give a bit more info?
michael_leeds
My Cars:

Post by michael_leeds »

As far as i'm aware, it'll be the original battery.
The engine does turn over, but it takes a good 30 secs before it eventually fires up.
Not sure if this helps, but it only happens if I go somewhere, leave the car in the car park and then return later on. When I get in to go to work at 8:00am tomorrow it'll probably be fine.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Yep sounds like the old battery is caputt. As RichardW says the charge light is a red herring. Get the battery tested and then replace. GSF batteries are good enough for the job and are miles cheaper than Half***s or Quick split.
saxo45
My Cars:

Post by saxo45 »

I was on my 3rd starter motor, only had to pay for one, and still had a starting problem. Finally discovered to be a poor +ve lead, battery to starter. The connections were good, but the lead disapears into plasic trunking, it had gone inside there.