Mick's Motoring Hamburg Hop

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Mick's Motoring Hamburg Hop

Post by mickthemaverick »

It is now just 7 weeks and 3 days to the start of the Hamburg Hop so time to get the thread going with the story so far. :)

When Mike (xantia_V6) was in the UK last year, and we met at a car show, we came up with a plan for Jim and I, and possibly Bob, to visit Mike in France and go round some museums and then go on to Hamburg, via my daughter's and the Nurburgring, to visit Wunderland, the world's largest model railway. So I put together the general plan which looked like this:
The original plan
The original plan
I spoke to Bob who was very keen on the Germany part of the trip but couldn't get away long enough to do the whole tour. So we decided that Jim and I would do the first four days through France, meeting Mike and then go on to meet up with Bob at Frankfurt for the Germany part.
Unfortunately, following Jim's issues described elsewhere, I decided I didn't want to do the four days in France on my own as it would not be much fun so I agreed with Bob that we would keep the Germany part as planned and I would drive out to Frankfurt and meet him at the airport as we had already booked both the ferry and the flight. So now the itinerary looks like this:
The final plan
The final plan
I had already planned the original route and this gives an idea but the part struck out with red is the now omitted section and the new sole driving part is in the lighter orange:
The HH Map
The HH Map
Over the last few weeks I began the detailed planning and the first thing that came to light was the emissions regulations now in place in Europe. Both France and Germany have introduced emission control measures which mainly apply to the larger cities but as our trip includes Hamburg, currently unrestricted, I decided to get the sticker for inner city travel as the car is Euro 4 compliant and thus I can use it anywhere in Germany with the sticker:
The Emissions Sticker
The Emissions Sticker
The outlay was only £15 and it ensures we are covered should Hamburg join the scheme in the next few weeks.

As for France I will only be going from Calais straight into Belgium so I have decided not to bother with their permit.

So that is where we are at the moment, I'll be leaving home at 05.00 and driving to my daughter's in Ober where I'll spend the first night. Then after a bit of sightseeing we will meet Bob at Frankfurt airport and then go to our hotel after dinner with my daughter and son-in-law.
Next day we start following the plan above!!

Watch this space!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Mick's Motoring Hamburg Hop

Post by CitroJim »

That's going to be one tremendous trip Mick and I shall enjoy following it :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

Have a good trip and don't let the emissions police get you! I think that they mostly use cameras and plate recognition, so a UK plate won't mean much to the computers.

Maybe you can make it to France next year.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Post by mickthemaverick »

xantia_v6 wrote: 18 May 2024, 16:41 Have a good trip and don't let the emissions police get you! I think that they mostly use cameras and plate recognition, so a UK plate won't mean much to the computers.

Maybe you can make it to France next year.
I certainly hope so Mike, the way things have turned out I am having two trips to my daughter's within 4 weeks. I will be repeating my drive over there a fortnight after we get home taking Bob's grandaughters to visit my daughter who has always been their mentor!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!