peugeot 407 2.0 hdi non starter.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.
robertel99

peugeot 407 2.0 hdi non starter.

Unread post by robertel99 »

my car cranks but wont start. i went for a 15km drive, it was all good, then i parked the car for 20 minutes, and when i wanted to start it it would just crank but not start. i put the tester on and i get p0016 cylinder reference signal. disconnected the cam sensor, deleted the errors, tried cranking again same code nothing different. would the sensor be the issue? the cam/crank synchronisation parameter stays to no. i have a multimeter but dont really know how to use it. how could i check the sensor or the connector with it? i dont think timing is missaligned since the car worked perfectly before this. great start, had right power, gas mileage was good. i have attached below the error, first was with it plugged, the second with it unplugged. there are no other errors. the 15 km drive was to pick up a mfd display, which i configured to the specs of the car, and it was running good, i tried to plug the old one back in but it would still not start. could the new mfd fry something in the wiring?
robertel99

Re: peugeot 407 2.0 hdi non starter.

ok measured the connector, pin 2 has 10.83 volts coming through it when it should only be 5? pin 3 has 5, and pin 1(ground) shows the battery voltage so thats good? measured resistance on sensor and its .4 ohms? is that right?
wheeler

Unread post by wheeler »

This is a hall effect sensor so ohms readings are useless. You really need a scope to check them properly.
In my experience cam sensors on PSA engines rarely fail, cant think that i have ever replaced one apart from when they suffer physical damage after a timing belt failure.
Not to say they cant fail but i think i would be checking the timing lines up ok first. Can you at least see if the camshaft is turning through the oil filler of removing the top cover. when you crank the engine?
Remember a timing belt can fail with absolutely no warning, is it due to be replaced?
robertel99

wheeler wrote: 16 May 2024, 20:48 This is a hall effect sensor so ohms readings are useless. You really need a scope to check them properly.
In my experience cam sensors on PSA engines rarely fail, cant think that i have ever replaced one apart from when they suffer physical damage after a timing belt failure.
Not to say they cant fail but i think i would be checking the timing lines up ok first. Can you at least see if the camshaft is turning through the oil filler of removing the top cover. when you crank the engine?
Remember a timing belt can fail with absolutely no warning, is it due to be replaced?
well ive ordered one already so ill try to change it first… i think its due got no clue when it was last done… if not sensor then i will be taking the car to a service for timing work. is it a good sign that there is no banging noise or unusual noise when cranking?
robertel99

and also, when undoing the cam sensor, i noticed the screw was not the original one, and the sensor looked aftermarket. my guess is it was changed before and the quality was poor and it broke again. at least i can hope so.
robertel99

all fixed and done. the cam sensor was broken, changed it and works a charm. :)