New HV battery for DS5 Hybrid 4

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

eliezedeck
Donor 2024

New HV battery for DS5 Hybrid 4

Post by eliezedeck »

Hey guys,

I'm interested and in the process of planning the acquisition of a new (ideally New, not reconditionned) HV High Voltage battery for my Citroen DS5 Hybrid 4 (2012). I really like the car and its hybrid mode (but especially the design), however, the range is too low, and usually it's a bit too weak. It barely makes about 200 meters on the ZEV mode while the original range is 2-3km, it cannot climb anything, like may be 3° angle, but anything more than that and the engine already kicks in. I believe this car can do better, like, much much better than that.

So, I'd like to know what is reliable sources where I can get a new battery from? Ideally new battery pack so I can just remove the old one and put in the new one. Of course, with reasonable prices.

However, I know that there is the possibility that parts are not being produced anymore. So, I can also accept the possibility of replacing all the cells in the battery (I think I should have the experiences to do be able to accomplish that with some tutorials or something). I've already been looking at this path, however, it seems to be too expensive with no guarantee whatsoever. Each cell is about €40 - €60, so I thought, may be buying a brand new pack might be cheaper.

What do you guys suggest? And if it's even something worth it?

Thanks.
eliezedeck
Donor 2024

Re: New HV battery for DS5 Hybrid 4

Post by eliezedeck »

By the way, does the DS 5 provide the information about the Hybrid High voltage battery? Such as individual cell voltages, overall voltage, draw amperage, etc... I was thinking if I have those information, I could know if there is one or more cell that's bad may be, and avoiding the cost of full battery replacement.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The Traction battery is not cheap and is only sold with the following components shown under (1):
DS5 traction battery.png
Price is £6,552.00

Only specially trained personnel are supposed to work on these legally because of the nature of the batteries (risk of explosion / fire) and the high voltages involved.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
eliezedeck
Donor 2024

Post by eliezedeck »

I understand the concern, I have an electronics and high voltage background, so I think I'll be fine there. Indeed, that's super expensive, I think at that price it's far from worth it. However, I think there should be cheaper options that should exist. I'm currently exploring.

I think I might go with the cells replacement route, I seem to have found less expensive cells. It's just about getting someone in China to assert the quality and warranty of the cells. The reconditioning isn't really appealing to me, as I'm looking to get back original performance of the batteries. New cells is thus the way to go.

So, I guess I'll be on my own. If I find something worth sharing, I'll post here. Thanks Marc.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Some interesting stuff on the subject here: https://cedarelectric.co.uk/electric-an ... y-repairs/
I guess there will be a lot more companies in this field as the market grows.
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. (Albert Einstein)