Xantia 1.9TD Bosch, rough start

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenguy
(Donor 2021)

Xantia 1.9TD Bosch, rough start

Post by citroenguy »

Hello

I have recently got a little niggle with my Xantia 1.9TD.
When starting from cold It needs a few more cranks than usual. Also runs a bit rough for about 15 seconds.

The third symptom is that it also makes a ticking noise, mostly when cold. Sounds a bit like lifter tick or engine knock.
Cannot hear anything from the block or head with stethoscope.

Was thinking about needle lift sensor or possibly crank sensor, if it plays a role... I think it only affects the "ignition timing/correction" that is electricly adjusted (VP20 pump)

Read the fault codes with Lexia, and it has a temporary code for needle lift sensor.

So..
Can the needle lift sensor give these issues?
I have various repair handbooks and wiring diagrams for C5 mk1, Xantia, XM, Berlingo and C3 mk1.
I have Lexia/Diagbox (Sweden) and Servicebox/sedre
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)

Re: Xantia 1.9TD Bosch, rough start

Post by Stickyfinger »

I would also suspect a glow plug or two....
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
citroenguy
(Donor 2021)

Post by citroenguy »

Hm, maby schould measure them.
I changed them when i got the car, about 2.5 years ago. Could be broken anyways, you never know with parts these days,..
I have various repair handbooks and wiring diagrams for C5 mk1, Xantia, XM, Berlingo and C3 mk1.
Stewart(oily)

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Tired leakoff pipes? try squeezing the primer bulb before attempting the first startup, see if it makes a difference. The needle lift sensor is built into one of the injectors ISTR, one of the simple diagnostics was to disconnect it, they run slightly different if its working.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
citroenguy
(Donor 2021)

Post by citroenguy »

Stewart(oily) wrote: 12 May 2024, 22:09 Tired leakoff pipes? try squeezing the primer bulb before attempting the first startup, see if it makes a difference. The needle lift sensor is built into one of the injectors ISTR, one of the simple diagnostics was to disconnect it, they run slightly different if its working.
Tried "pre-priming" today, couldn't see a difference.
No diesel smell or leak.
Is there a one way valve in the primer bulb? Or somewhere else?

I'll try unplugging the lift sensor