Can't remove rear wiper arm - any advice?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.
Lecit

Can't remove rear wiper arm - any advice?

Unread post by Lecit »

Hello,

I wanted to replace the rear wiper arm of my Citroen C1 Mk2.

It is very rusty. I managed to remove the nut after using WD-40, but now I can't pull the arm at all. It's not budging.
The bolt is also rusty and stuck in place.

I don't want to apply too much force to not break anything.

I've used WD-40 twice already on the area but still, nothing. I even tried to tap a bit on the bolt with the metal handle but didn't do anything

I am not sure though - is it really because of the rust - or something else in this design?

What can I do?

Thanks
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Re: Can't remove rear wiper arm - any advice?

Unread post by myglaren »

A proper penetrating oil would be better than WD40 and WD40 make one. The usual go-to one is Plus Gas though.
Also, phosphoric acid will help to remove rust, and works better mixed with ethanol.
Both can be had from Amazon as well as other sources.
40% phosphoric acid, 40% water, 20% ethanol.
There are also some OTC rust removers mostly based on phosphoric acid.
Amazon that are probably more economical for your purposes.

A three legged puller may also be useful but a fair outlay for a single use. you may be able to borrow one though.
wheeler

Unread post by wheeler »

Its a plastic wiper arm, all a puller will likely do is break the plastic bit off & leave the metal sleeve stuck on the spindle. With the mk1 C5's with a similar design i never used to waste any time trying to get them off after they had been on there a few years, just break the plastic off & dremmel the metal sleeve off & fit a new arm.
Lenny

Unread post by Lenny »

wheeler

Unread post by wheeler »

You can certainly try it but in my experience all they do is rip the plastic arm off & leave the metal bit still stuck on the motor shaft which needs to be cut off.
Its less than £14 for a new arm complete with blade
NewcastleFalcon

Unread post by NewcastleFalcon »

Lecit wrote: 06 Apr 2024, 14:45 I wanted to replace the rear wiper arm of my Citroen C1 Mk2.

It is very rusty. I managed to remove the nut after using WD-40, but now I can't pull the arm at all. It's not budging.
The bolt is also rusty and stuck in place.

I don't want to apply too much force to not break anything.
What can I do?
I would concur with what has already been said in my experience, a bit of careful surgical destruction, and a new arm may be required. Your puller may work, that's what they are designed to do, but when corrosion perversely appears to weld components together removal even with the puller may be difficult.

Bit of a re-edit after realising its the rear wiper arm you are dealing with, which carries the jeopardy of the wiper motor shaft splines and threaded end poking through a hole in the rear window. Leverage against the glass not recommended. :-D

This vid shows a similar difficult job on a C1 rear wiper. Eventual success, not that keen on his "boiling water" intervention. As ever no recommendation, make your own mind up and good luck.
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Lecit

Unread post by Lecit »

Thanks everyone, sorry for the late reply! I still haven't done it yet, but will try using your tips now