Xantia ABS light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

brianr.uk

Xantia ABS light

Post by brianr.uk »

the ABS warning light stays on sometimes and then other times goes out as it should.There is no pattern to this but seems to happen at random.The car is a 1993 Xantia 1.9td sx.Can anyone help please.
Thanks Brian.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Unfortunately I think the ECU on your xantia is well known for failure. The good news is that it can be rebuilt!
As a preliminary its worth metering each sensor ans eeing if the readings are similar. if they are suspect the ECU.
http://www.carelect.demon.co.uk/
http://www.bba-reman.com/index.htm
jeremy
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

This sounds like its an intermittent fault, it could be one of the sensor wires making/breaking connection as the wire is flexed, this sort of thing is difficult to track down. I did hear of somebody on here using an audio amplifier to track down a dodgy sensor like this on a BX.
Have a search and see what turns up.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

yes it was me. my symptoms were that the warning light would come on after driving for a bit and all sensors metered correctly when static. I was fortunate in having an old radio with a separate 5 pin din plug and identified the terminals and soldered 2 wires from a spare (car end) abs lead to them.
There is a surprising reaction to bumps which initially confused me but eventually I was able to hear a crackle as I went over bumps which identified the sensor for me.
If you haven't a sepaprate amplifier input I don't see why a microphone input shouldn't do, and I supopose you could even record the output and play it back later.
I didn't mention this before because of the well known problems with this particular ECU fitted to the xantia.
jeremy
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I've seen a lot of ECU problems reported, but I've also seen a lot of people replacing ECUs when they're suspected duff and finding out that their ECU is/was fine. I suspect that a lot of ECUs get replaced when they are in fact fine, some people don't understand the system and will replace expensive parts until the system works properly again, ABS/other electronic problems are feared/accepted as being expensive...
Sensor problems are much more common and by far cheaper in terms of parts cost, so thats where I would start looking, meter the sensors if the light comes on stationary, audio amplifier them if its intermittent on the move.
On my Xantia, I've noticed that the light comes on, then flickers twice before going out. When I had a duff sensor, I only got one flicker. When I unplug the ECU I don't get any flicker at all. This could probably be diagnostic for the problems that you are having Brian, assuming that the light sometimes comes on when you turn on the ignition when stationary.
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

I had the exact same problems (same year & model )as described above, after doing all the checks in relation to the sensors it turned out to be ECU, repaired 2 years ago still fine.
The flickering indicates ECU self tests are ok so no flicker, the probably ECU or relay
johntaylor
My Cars:

Post by johntaylor »

I had this problem and toured the yards and fitted four ECU units because lots of advice was given on this topic, one from a company whos site states that the ECU needs renewing.
It was solved by replacing the nearside front ABS wheel sensor. You will find it difficult to remove the replacement unless you are very lucky to find one that is free.
Do not pay a fortune (£165+) for a repaired ECU until you try replacing each sensor...... it is a simple job to fit but I suggest you need lots of patience and a good round file to fit them in place.
John.
brianr.uk

Post by brianr.uk »

Thanks everyone for the advice it sounds like a weekend job.
Brian.
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

Try the ABS fault finding article on this site - it has a section headed "Warning light flicker - likely to be a front sensor"
http://www.woollard.com.btinternet.co.u ... ad.htm#ABS
When we had a similar problem I went to my local independent a couple of years ago suspecting it might be the ECU. He said he had heard similar tales but as yet had never had to replace an ECU - was almost invariably a sensor problem.